New Install - Playing Video causes CPU overheat.

gwaitsi

Patron
Hey guys,

so i have a new install and have moved my data from an OMV to freenas install.

From the plex server web page,
- i can play audio now problems.
- it quickly scanned and loaded all media.

- if i try to play any video, very quickly my supermicro x11 overheart alarm starts going berserk.
a check on the IPMI interface shows the CPU temperature at 100 and freenas alerts advice to shutdown the system.
if i stop trying to play the video, temperature quickly drops back to low 50s

most of the videos are x264 + aac or ogg (5.1) in mkv container

I also note that Kodi clients, although they can loggin with the plexconnect plugin, scanning the media doesn't return anything

to be sure the files are ok, i did a random sample and downloaded via ssh and played locally without problem

Yorick

Wizard
There’s just one reason for overheat: The CPU isn’t cooled right.

assume nothing and check that:
- The Heatsink is on flush and tightened down evenly at all four corners
- thermal paste has been applied in an even, thin layer between the heat sink and CPU
- the fan on the heat sink is plugged in and turns (no really, I’ve seen that unplugged, happens to the best of us)

gwaitsi

Patron
There’s just one reason for overheat: The CPU isn’t cooled right.

assume nothing and check that:
- The Heatsink is on flush and tightened down evenly at all four corners
- thermal paste has been applied in an even, thin layer between the heat sink and CPU
- the fan on the heat sink is plugged in and turns (no really, I’ve seen that unplugged, happens to the best of us)

The CPU cooler is a supermicro cooler specifically for the type of case/cpu it is in.
The fan speed adjust based on the temperature and spins up to full speed like a jet engine.

The fact that no videos play, even without transcoding says to me this is more like a software issue than a hardware issue.

** updated **
I might add, if i delete the library and re-add it with thumbnails. the transcoding of the thumbnails causes CPU utilization of >100% with a temp rise to 65 - 70deg with the corresponding jet engine cooling. it is only when trying to play the videos. as the music and videos were imported the same way, it is unlikely to be a permissions issue. seems more like a codec issue or something.

Last edited:

gwaitsi

Patron
oh man.....what i backward step i've made.....

I had no problems running plexmedia under OMV on an AsRock E350M (dual core) APU.

Settings - Transoder - Disable video stream transcoding = ticked fixed the CPU heating issue, but now
I have a Xeon E2234 (quad core) on a X11SCL-IF board, but plex reports my system is not powerful enough.

Last edited:

Fredda

Guru
Well, there might be a slight difference in cooling requirements between a TDP 18W low power processor and a TDP 71W server processor.

Nevertheless, even when running at 100% performance a processor should not overheat, so I agree 100% with Yorick, there must be something wrong with the cooling.

Also I highly doubt your Plex server is not transcoding, if you play your files with "direct streaming" this may also transcode, only "direct playing" does not do any transcoding and simply sends the media files to the client.

Last edited:

gwaitsi

Patron
I will take the cover of the case off to see if it makes a difference (but i doubt it).
The Supermicro CPU Cooler is designed specifically for the type of case and environment.
like i say, you can't miss it increasing in spead, sounds like a jet plane.

with Disable video stream transcoding checked, i get the error below when trying to play from the web interface.
"This server is not powerful enough to convert video."

also, none of the videos have fanart when they are analized, yet they all did on OMV install.

This doesn't look too healthy to me.
Plex Media Server.log
Aug 25, 2020 16:26:11.934 [0x80b816000] INFO - OCSP: Successfully retrieved response from cache.
Aug 25, 2020 16:26:13.900 [0x80c6ba700] INFO - Refreshing paths watched by LibraryUpdateManager
Aug 25, 2020 16:26:14.700 [0x812022500] WARN - Sync: Couldn't get sync lists without subscription.
Aug 25, 2020 16:26:14.880 [0x813c5d000] ERROR - Unknown metadata type: folder
Aug 25, 2020 16:26:15.552 [0x813a68900] INFO - AutoUpdate: no updates available
Aug 25, 2020 16:30:23.914 [0x8126ee200] ERROR - Error response for update: ().
Aug 25, 2020 16:30:55.476 [0x812c24400] ERROR - Error response for update: ().
Aug 25, 2020 16:42:39.545 [0x812c23a00] ERROR - Error response for update: ().
Aug 25, 2020 16:42:47.919 [0x812aefe00] ERROR - Error response for update: ().
Aug 25, 2020 16:42:47.996 [0x812aefe00] ERROR - Unknown metadata type: folder
Aug 25, 2020 16:42:48.068 [0x8126ee200] ERROR - Error response for update: ().
Aug 25, 2020 16:43:15.487 [0x80c6b9d00] WARN - Transcode runner appears to have died.
Aug 25, 2020 16:43:15.488 [0x80c6bac00] WARN - Transcode runner appears to have died.
Aug 25, 2020 16:43:15.591 [0x80c6bac00] WARN - Timed out waiting for segment.
Aug 25, 2020 16:43:15.591 [0x80c6b9d00] WARN - Timed out waiting for segment.

Yorick

Wizard
Disable video stream transcoding checked, i get the error below when trying to play from the web interface.
"This server is not powerful enough to convert video."

That's a slightly misleading Plex error message, that you get when Plex wants to transcode video but can't, because you told it not to.

That thermal issue needs to be solved first. Then you can dig into why Plex thinks it needs to transcode, and how to keep it from doing that.

Nothing in software can cause a properly cooled CPU to overheat. A CPU at full blast will get hotter, but not overheat.

My system is similar to yours. A generation older and in a PC case, not a server case, but comparable. Idle temperature is 27C. Temperature with CPU at 100% (software transcode a 4k HDR movie, both a bad idea and about as punishing to the CPU as I can get) is max 61C. That's what you'd expect. 50-60C idle is way too high.

"Jet Engine" suggests it's a positive static pressure cooling solution, common in 1U server cases. There are only a few things that could cause it not to work.
- It's not in the case it was designed for
- It is in the case it's designed for but shrouds are missing / misconfigured or airflow is otherwise obstructed
- It's not making good flush contact with the CPU over the entire die
- Thermal paste is missing or not applied correctly
- The plastic foil on the cooler or CPU die was left on
- Case fans not set up the way the case needs them to be

That's about all I can think of for cooling.

Let's not dig into why your Plex client forces transcode until cooling is fixed. @Fredda is right though, you want Plex DirectPlay without transcode.
Things that can force transcode:
- VC1 codec, gets transcoded to H.264
- PGS or VobSUB subtitles being burned in
- Playing at a lower resolution than the source resolution

All of which can be solved. "Optimize" for VC1 and resolution; "SRT" for subtitles.

Last edited:

gwaitsi

Patron
this should have been spotted during burn in. As you haven’t done that yet, I suggest you start with that before doing anything with FreeNAS or plex

the system was running 24/7 for 2 weeks before i started doing anything with freenas. that is classed in my books are being burnt in

gwaitsi

Patron
That's a slightly misleading Plex error message, that you get when Plex wants to transcode video but can't, because you told it not to.

That thermal issue needs to be solved first. Then you can dig into why Plex thinks it needs to transcode, and how to keep it from doing that.

Nothing in software can cause a properly cooled CPU to overheat. A CPU at full blast will get hotter, but not overheat.

My system is similar to yours. A generation older and in a PC case, not a server case, but comparable. Idle temperature is 27C. Temperature with CPU at 100% (software transcode a 4k HDR movie, both a bad idea and about as punishing to the CPU as I can get) is max 61C. That's what you'd expect. 50-60C idle is way too high.

"Jet Engine" suggests it's a positive static pressure cooling solution, common in 1U server cases. There are only a few things that could cause it not to work.
- It's not in the case it was designed for
- It is in the case it's designed for but shrouds are missing / misconfigured or airflow is otherwise obstructed
- It's not making good flush contact with the CPU over the entire die
- Thermal paste is missing or not applied correctly
- The plastic foil on the cooler or CPU die was left on
- Case fans not set up the way the case needs them to be

That's about all I can think of for cooling.

Let's not dig into why your Plex client forces transcode until cooling is fixed. @Fredda is right though, you want Plex DirectPlay without transcode.
Things that can force transcode:
- VC1 codec, gets transcoded to H.264
- PGS or VobSUB subtitles being burned in
- Playing at a lower resolution than the source resolution

All of which can be solved. "Optimize" for VC1 and resolution; "SRT" for subtitles.

CPU temp is 40/41 at ideal
PCH temp is 57 at ideal
CPU fan is running at 1600RPM at ideal and the Chassis 600RPM

U-NAS 401
the board mounts on the left side facing in. The CPU fan extractor is point to the top of the case where the most free space is.
the vents are forward on the left side of the case. (I might fit a couple of mini fans if you are proven to be correct.

I've taken the cover off - it takes slightly longer to reach 90+ deg,
cpu fan goes up to 6100rpm and chassis fan up to 1600 rpm.

nothing happens on the web interface when trying to play.
notably on the process screen Plex Trans shows with WCPU of 750%

Vast majority of my media is x264 with a small number of VC1 or x265. they are all mixed in mkv with either aac or ogg
some music videos i got from youtube play without problem.

my conclusion is ffmpg is causing the system to go mental and i am convinced it is a software problem and not a h/w problem - particularly as the cover of the unit is off. also zoneminder does not cause this to happen.

garm

Wizard
i am convinced it is a software problem and not a h/w problem
well, you are wrong.. software cannot overheat hardware..

the system was running 24/7 for 2 weeks before i started doing anything with freenas. that is classed in my books are being burnt in

again you are wrong.. a burn in would be to run the cpu at full utilization to properly settle the thermal paste for a few days (or atleast over night..) and to run memtest for a week minimum.. not to mention the disks.. you really dont want issues with the hardware to show up when you start loading the NAS with all that precarious data

My E3-1225V3 at 85 W TDP never goes beyond about 40 degrees over room temp att full load

Go and download Prime95. Start by running the Prime95 Torture Test for about 30 minutes to see if the system is generally stable. The run it for 12-24 hours.

Last edited:

Yorick

Wizard
@gwaitsi, people here are reaching out a helping hand, because that’s the kind of forum this is. Maybe ... stop slapping the offered help away?

You have a cooling issue. This may be tough to solve, you basically built in an sff pc case, and one that’s mostly drives at that. That’s a tough environment to get thermals right in.

Recognize the pickle you got yourself into and people here as well as on the STH forums will be there to help.

Or keep on going full-on Dunning-Kruger if you must. Folk will get over it and find someone else to assist.

ThreeDee

Guru
You have cooling issues and are dead set on blaming FreeNAS(TrueNAS) .. I run stuff in my sig .. Chinese knock off stuff and will have up to 8 people at at a time watching stuff on my plex (I share with 25+ friends and family) .. I run under 40c all the time.

You seem pretty linux smart but can't get FreeNAS to work (FreeBSD'ish). Maybe you think you are above following directions from folks here or something .. I don't know. I don't have a clue about most of the stuff talked about here, but I know how to follow directions and I have never had issues with my lowly hardware. You seem to be alone in your troubles with FreeNAS or perhaps not giving the whole story here .. You sing praises of how perfect OMV was and how horrible FreeNAS is.

if you don't really want help, then move on and stop wasting everybody's time.

If I read your other posts correctly .. you ran OMV on some hardware (an e350 setup for one) ..then got new/different hardware and installed FreeNAS on it. Tasks that others are not having issues with , are issues for you and it's FreeNAS's fault. You tried fitting your linux round peg into FreeNAS's square hole and it's just ... not ...working .. and that's FreeNAS's fault .. Your new/different hardware is overheating, not working right .. and that's FreeNAS's fault .. so did I get that right or am I missing something?

gwaitsi

Patron
i appreciate people trying to help for sure.
a) i moved to freenas, because OMV5 wasn't the great thing it was for a small home office under OMV4.
b) i am not blaming freenas. if there is an issue it is likely with the ffmpeg within the jail or freebsd
c) the suggestion software can't cause a CPU to overheat, sorry, we'll have to disagree on that.
that can achieved by malicious code, or by bug. why does a cpu heat?
because of the load created on it - exactly what testing/burn in programs seek to do.
d) with the case open and the cpu extractor fan in free space,
the key indicator here is the CPU load showing 750% and the fact it will direct stream some videos.
this indicates the codec is not likely the video stream, or something else about the file.
this seems to be supported by it not able to extract any info to perform a movie db lookup (but does work for audio)

AND the evidence beyond all doubt, when it plays videos i have downloaded from youtube - the temp is 38deg !!!

e) i have been around since the z80 and when PCs were made with 8088 and 8086 CPUs.
I think i have enough experience with h/w to not be wet behind the ears.

Lastly, i'm not radicul religious for any system. I go back to CPM/MPM and everything since.
OMV have some good gui aspects....instead of being on a freenas religous high horse -
the idea might be to consider what gui / plugin aspects and be used to enhance freenas - which i will be stuck on now.

Last edited:

garm

Wizard
if there is an issue it is likely with the ffmpeg within the jail or freebsd
No.. there is nothing any software can do to harm your system, except if you have malicious code that some how disabled your properly working cooling..
the key indicator here is the CPU load showing 750%
What do that indicate to you? If you have 8 cores, each core will be close to 100%, thus the overall system utilization is 750%...
because of the load created on it - exactly what testing/burn in programs seek to do
Run prime95 and tell us the cpu temp after 24 hours...

you have a fan for the CPU that isn’t designed for the case it’s in.. or improperly seated... fix the fan..

gwaitsi

Patron
No.. there is nothing any software can do to harm your system, except if you have malicious code that some how disabled your properly working cooling..

What do that indicate to you? If you have 8 cores, each core will be close to 100%, thus the overall system utilization is 750%...

Run prime95 and tell us the cpu temp after 24 hours...

you have a fan for the CPU that isn’t designed for the case it’s in.. or improperly seated... fix the fan..

I don't want you guys to think i am ungrateful.

I have the case open and will 3D print a flange to fit the cooler and channel it to the vents on the left, as of course the open case is running 5-10deg cooler. However, i am afraid this is a distraction from the real issue.

I have remux'd 3 different files into mp4 (because the files direct playing from youtube without problems are mp4)
i will report back separately, so we can focus on what stream, or container is broken

p.s. i know under the zoneminder that x264 creation has an issue under the version of freebsd in the package.

IMG_20200826_095534.jpg

garm

Wizard
what stream, or container is broken
There is no such “broken” container.. the cooler you have is for a forced airflow 1u chassi.. get a better cooler or force air into it.. or seat it properly..

I’m out.. fight this windmill if you want

gwaitsi

Patron
There is no such “broken” container.. the cooler you have is for a forced airflow 1u chassi.. get a better cooler or force air into it.. or seat it properly..

I’m out.. fight this windmill if you want

some files play without problem, some files do not play.
Sorry, but you are in denial if you are relating that to a cooling.

Below are the meta of a file that does play without problem, and one that does not.
The only time the CPU goes into overdrive, is when trying to play the file that does not work.
That is not a cooling problem, that is ffmpeg not liking something about the file / format of the stream

This file does not play,
  • /media/TEST/480p_Kitaro_An_Enchanted_Evening_1995_x264_ogg.mp4

Media
  • Duration 1:22:24
  • Bitrate 1929 kbps
  • Width 700
  • Height 576
  • Aspect Ratio 1.33
  • Video Resolution 576p
  • Container MP4
  • Video Frame Rate PAL
  • Web Optimized Yes
  • Video Profile main

Part
  • Duration 1:22:24
  • File 480p_Kitaro_An_Enchanted_Evening_1995_x264_ogg.mp4
  • Size 1.11 GB
  • Container MP4
  • Indexes sd
  • Web Optimized Yes
  • Video Profile main

• Codec H264
  • Bitrate 1468 kbps
  • Bit Depth 8
  • Chroma Location left
  • Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
  • Coded Height 576
  • Coded Width 704
  • Color Primaries bt470bg
  • Color Range tv
  • Color Space smpte170m
  • Color Trc bt709
  • Frame Rate 25 fps

This file does play
/media/MusicVideos/汪峰_存在_Existence_2013/汪峰_存在_Existence_2013全国巡演上海场(官方全程).mp4

Media
  • Duration 2:44:33
  • Bitrate 1817 kbps
  • Width 1280
  • Height 720
  • Aspect Ratio 1.78
  • Video Resolution 720p
  • Container MP4
  • Video Frame Rate PAL
  • Web Optimized Yes
  • Audio Profile lc
  • Video Profile main

Part
  • Duration 2:44:33
  • File 汪峰_存在_Existence_2013全国巡演上海场(官方全程).mp4
  • Size 2.09 GB
  • Audio Profile lc
  • Container MP4
  • Indexes sd
  • Web Optimized Yes
  • Video Profile main

• Codec H264
  • Bitrate 1691 kbps
  • Bit Depth 8
  • Chroma Location left
  • Chroma Subsampling 4:2:0
  • Coded Height 720
  • Coded Width 1280
  • Color Primaries bt709
  • Color Range tv
  • Color Space bt709
  • Color Trc bt709
  • Frame Rate 25 fps
  • Height 720
  • Level 3.1
  • Profile main
  • Ref Frames 3
  • Stream Identifier 1
  • Width 1280
  • Display Title 720p (H.264)
  • Extended Display Title 720p (H.264)

• Codec AAC
  • Channels 2
  • Bitrate 126 kbps
  • Audio Channel Layout stereo
  • Profile lc
  • Sampling Rate 44100 Hz
  • Stream Identifier 2
  • Display Title Unknown (AAC Stereo)
  • Extended Display Title Unknown (AAC Stereo)