New install of Win10x64 super slow

prophoto

Explorer
Peggs the CPU consistently. I tried adding 2 more vCPUs but they don't show up in the windows task manager. Running FreeNAS on an HP dual Xeon 2.4ghz 6 core and 32GB of RAM. VM disk is stored on SSD pool. CPU in the VM gets pegged, but top on the host CLI shows the processor at 95-98% idle.

I tried adding the alternative NIC but windows can't find a driver for it, so now I have both the Intel NIC and VirtIO NIC.

1. Where do I get a VirtIO driver for Windows 10 x64?
2. How do I get Windows 10 x64 to recognize the additional vCPUs?
3. What else can I do to speed this VM up? Its basically unusable with no additional apps or systems running.

Yorick

Wizard
1) RedHat. https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-U...tual-machines-using-virtio-drivers/index.html , use stable
2) You don't, Win10 is limited to two vCPU. Use cores on the vCPU instead. Single vCPU, multiple cores.
3) TrueNAS Core 12.0 speeds it up considerably. Beta 2 out around Aug 11th and should be good enough to run in a home environment. There is a known bhyve quirk in TrueNAS Core that requires a workaround on reboot of a VM; if that's a big issue then hold off until RC1.

prophoto

Explorer
2) You don't, Win10 is limited to two vCPU. Use cores on the vCPU instead. Single vCPU, multiple cores.
Thanks for the quick reply! How do I assign cores? Options in bhyve seem quite limited vs past experience with ESX, VMWare, Parallels, etc.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
@Yorick isn't entirely correct. Win10 can be assigned more cores using the bhyve number of CPU knob, but this won't take effect until some loader tunables are set. See this post:

Yorick

Wizard
Learn something new every day. I don't have a FreeNAS 11.3 any more to test with. On TrueNAS Core 12.0, assigning 4 cores works without needing to change a tunable.