New Home NAS, looking for advice

Barry Brooks

Cadet
Hello All!

My name is Barry, I’m new to the forums, this is my first home NAS build and I have no prior experience using FreeNAS. I’ve done a lot of research concerning NAS servers, I feel building a FreeNAS vs buying a prebuilt solution is the best way to go.

Currently, I have all my videos on physical disks and data stored on a several external HDDs and SSDs. Cost for the NAS can be moderate, but reliability, longevity and sound levels are my biggest concerns.

Main purpose for the NAS will be:

1. Plex: 3 to 5 1080p streams at any time.
  2. Local File server: non-personal data files, photos, music, etc. (all items minus videos will be saved to a local backup and off site as well)
  3. System backups: Store backups images of family’s PCs

Below are the components I already have.

Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Airflow Full tower case
Boot drive: 2 x Kingston HyperX 120GB SSDs (is 120GB large enough)
Storage: 6 x 8GB Western Digital White drives
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+, 80 Plus Gold (I know it is more than enough, gives room for expansion)

Components I have not selected yet:

Motherboard
CPU/CPUs
CPU Cooler/s
SAS Controller
RAM
10GB LAN Controller (I’m in the middle of renovating my entire house. If the benefits are worth it, now would be the time to run the cabling)
10GB switch (only need a small switch)
Battery Backup

All recommendation, suggestions, assistance or positive feedback will be welcome and appreciated.

Respectfully,
Barry

Last edited:

2nd-in-charge

Explorer
  1. Plex: 3 to 5 1080p streams at any time.
Transcoding or not? 5 streams transcoding is a serious CPU load.
Boot drive: 2 x Kingston HyperX 120GB SSDs (is 120GB large enough)
No need to spend on HyperX drives. A400 are good enough.

There are reports that these do not spin up in some systems. I'd stick with Reds.

Components I have not selected yet:
See great recommendations here:
https://www.ixsystems.com/community/resources/specific-build-components-list-up-to-32gb-ram.109/
https://www.ixsystems.com/community...anges-to-upgrade-as-high-as-512gb-of-ram.110/

10GB LAN Controller (I’m in the middle of renovating my entire house. If the benefits are worth it, now would be the time to run the cabling)
10GB switch (only need a small switch)
https://www.ixsystems.com/community/resources/10-gig-networking-primer.42/

Last edited:

Jessep

Patron
Where will it be placed? (i.e. noise requirements)
Budget?
Pool growth rates?

Barry Brooks

Cadet
Transcoding or not? 5 streams transcoding is a serious CPU load.

I do not think I will have a need to transcode.

No need to spend on HyperX drives. A400 are good enough.

I already have these drives from an old build, no need to waist them.

There are reports that these do not spin up in some systems. I'd stick with Reds.

I already have these drives; I'd rather not have to fork out another $1800 if there are ways to get them to work properly. I am aware of the voltage issue, I have read on other forums, there are way to resolve the issue.

I reviewed this prior to posting, I was thinking of getting the following as the price has gone down:

Motherboard: SuperMicro X9SRL-F ATX
CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2680

Confusing!

Last edited:

Jessep

Patron
Will he be working directly from the NAS?

Growth rate impacts initial design. If you undersize the initial build and didn't include space to add more vdev you will be in a very tough spot.

For a new build I wouldn't suggest anything older than E5 v2.

Barry Brooks

Cadet
Will he be working directly from the NAS?
No, he as his own Media creation/Gaming rig.

Growth rate impacts initial design. If you undersize the initial build and didn't include space to add more vdev you will be in a very tough spot.
Are six 8TB drives considered undersize?, four for storage, two for redundancy.

For a new build I wouldn't suggest anything older than E5 v2.
What would you recommend for Mainboard, CPU and Memory?

Jessep

Patron
Depends on your current storage needs, how much is currently in use?
Then determine to the best of your ability growth rates, or assume a doubling within the life span of the drives, usually defined as the warranty period of the drives (3-5 years).
That case has a max of 6 drives without adding expansion bays into the 5.25" bays. If you need more storage than 6x8TB within the lifespan of the drives you will have more trouble adding drives. Leading to either adding expansion bays, or replacing all 6 drives with larger 10+TB drives.
Hence why planning ahead is important. Make life easier on your future self.

Barry Brooks

Cadet
Depends on your current storage needs, how much is currently in use?
Then determine to the best of your ability growth rates, or assume a doubling within the life span of the drives, usually defined as the warranty period of the drives (3-5 years).

My current storage needs are not great as I do not have any of my movies converted to a digital file, all my movies are with UltraViolet, but they are shutting down on 31 July 219.

The main purpose for the server will be for running Plex, I will be storing other files on the server but not a vast amount.

That case has a max of 6 drives without adding expansion bays into the 5.25" bays. If you need more storage than 6x8TB within the lifespan of the drives you will have more trouble adding drives. Leading to either adding expansion bays, or replacing all 6 drives with larger 10+TB drives. Hence why planning ahead is important. Make life easier on your future self.

You are so right, planning ahead is important!

You are also correct the Corsair Obsidian Series™ 750D Full Tower ATX Case comes with only 2 drive cages, housing 3 x 3.5" drive trays in each, but it can be expanded with additional drives cages for a total of 12 to 18 x 3.5" drives (depending on motherboard), I'm not counting the 3 x 5.25" or 4 x SSD sleds in the rear.

I know 12+ HHDs will generate a lot of heat, but the case is massive and has tons of airflow.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...80T)-(Obsidian-450D,-650D,-750D)/p/CC-8930032

I hope I'm not coming across as argumentative, All of your comments are on point and this is your arena. I have tons of knowledge when it comes to building or repairing Windows based systems and none when it comes to Unix or FreeNAS.

Attachments

• 750D, 12 hhds.jpg
    750D, 12 hhds.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 1,100

Inxsible

Guru
I think you should be ok with the components that you already have. No need re-investing more money.

From your requirements it seems you don't need too much processing power since you mostly want to serve movies which won't be transcoded. Look into Supermicro X9 or X10 based mATX or ATX boards. I have a X9SCL-F -- which is a great board. But you should look for a board that supports Registered and Unbuffered RAM -- that way it gives you more options. Registered RAM is currently much cheaper than Unbuffered for some reason. X9DRi-LNF4+ is one example

Definitely get 10GB cards since your son will be video editing etc on his own rig and then moving the videos back and forth between the NAS and his rig.