New HBA + New VDEV causing Plex issues?

kranzel

Explorer
Hi all,

I have been beating my head against a wall for a while now. I am not sure where the issue is but I am out of ideas.

Here is the situation.

I run a Plex Jail on my FreeNAS system. I have run it for a more than a few years without issue. During this time, My system specs WERE are as follows.

MB: SUPERMICRO MBD-X11SSL-F-O
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 v5 SkyLake 3.4 GHz 8MB L3 Cache
RAM: 32GB of Kingston KSM24ED8 PC4-19200 ECC Unbuffered
HDD: 6 x 8TB WD RED connected to the Sata ports on the MB
The drives were arranged in a RaidZ2 configuration on a single VDEV/Pool.

As I mentioned, everything was working fine. I could handle multiple transcodes etc.

I started running low on space, so I purchased an HBA. Specifically an LSI 8 port 6GBPs board with an LSI00301 chipset. I updated it to the latest firmware and FreeNAS had no issues detecting it.

Then I added another 6 x 8TB WD RED drives in a new RaidZ2 VDEV and added that VDEV to my existing pool. I also purchased another 32GB of memory.

So, now my system looks like this,

MB: SUPERMICRO MBD-X11SSL-F-O
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230 v5 SkyLake 3.4 GHz 8MB L3 Cache
RAM: 64GB of Kingston KSM24ED8 PC4-19200 ECC Unbuffered
HDD: 6 x 8TB WD RED connected to the Sata ports on the MB
LSI HBA: 6 x 8TB WD RED drives connected through SAS breakout cables
FreeNAS Version: 11.2U5

This is when things started getting weird. Shortly after this, users started experiencing buffering issue when viewing Plex externally or internally. This only seems to affect transcoding, not direct streams. I have checked all my network configs, the Plex transcoded logs etc. All seem to work fine.

Next, I tried to install Plex on a 32 core system I owned , with the FreeNAS system as the storage location and the same problem occurred.

Then, I used this same 32 core Plex install with Local media and it worked fine.

My internet is a bi-directional 300Mbps/300Mbps connection and all speed tests show this is working fine as well.

Lastly, I added an SSD to the FreeNAS system and have set it up exclusivist as the transcode directory for Plex. But the problems remain.

I am truly at a loss here. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Are you getting any disk errors?

kranzel

Explorer

kranzel

Explorer
Any other ideas? Anyone?