New hard drive and creating a pool.

jbacs

Dabbler
I am using freenas 11.2-U3 and I have two identical 2 tarabyte drives installed. I was able to create a pool called customers on drive 1 (ada1) and when I click view disks the second hard drive shows (ada2). However, when I go to create pool the second hard drive (ada2) does not show up and I am unable to create a pool using that disk. I do want to use the disk independently and not have them mirrored. What am I missing here?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You may need to wipe ada2 from the disks list under storage. (assuming there's nothing on there you care about)

jbacs

Dabbler
Actually before I saw your reply I wiped out the pool and then recreated it. It then showed the new disk. So, I created Customer with ada1 and Customer2 with ada2. I will try the disk thing next time. I don't want to have to wipe the pools out to add a new disk each time as I have open slots for more when I need them. Thank You for the suggestion.

danb35

Hall of Famer
You definitely don't have to wipe out any pools in order to create new pools. You may, however, need to wipe the new disk, particularly if it's been used somewhere else first. But you'd be much better off setting up a pool with some redundancy.

garm

Wizard
customers on drive 1 (..) I do want to use the disk independently and not have them mirrored. What am I missing here?

What kind of customer data is volatile?
A multi pool configuration is almost certainly less storage efficient then a raidz pool