New FreeNAS Mini Models Announced

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
1564076342768.png

https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/new-freenas-mini-models-release-pr/

Adrian

Contributor
I rushed to buy a XL+ to replace an elderly HP Microserver.
To me the USP was it having a USB 3 port (as does the Mini E).
Only after committing did I realise that it has 10Gbase-T NICs. Will it connect to a 1000base-T switch or do I need to buy a 10Gbase-T capable switch? This is likely to be my only 10G device for the foreseeable future.

JoshDW19

Community Hall of Fame
I rushed to buy a XL+ to replace an elderly HP Microserver.
To me the USP was it having a USB 3 port (as does the Mini E).
Only after committing did I realise that it has 10Gbase-T NICs. Will it connect to a 1000base-T switch or do I need to buy a 10Gbase-T capable switch? This is likely to be my only 10G device for the foreseeable future.

Hey Adrian. The XL+ should work just fine with your switch but you won't see the full benefit of its 10GbE speed. Hope this helps.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
"All" 10GbE devices play nice with 1GbE devices. It's when you go down to 10/100 Mb/s Ethernet that the majority of 10GbE devices outright refuse to work, which is vaguely-understandable.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Mini E has a C3338 and the Mini XL+ has a C3758. I'm not sure anybody on the forums actually tried the dual-core one, but I expect to be similar to a C2550, with the much-improved microarchitecture making up for the lack of the extra two cores. C3758 should be pretty neat.

Hmm, getting rid of the stupid PCIe switch that the ASRock C2750D4I has saved 5 W across the board, on paper, on the C3758 model...

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

FreeN@s!

Dabbler
Last edited:

Adrian

Contributor
My xl-plus arrived today, and will be a on-site replication backup of an xl.
It announces itself as a Supermicro (:cool: I gather that larger iXsystems machines are Supermicro based.
I am so far impressed. IPMI being accessible with HTML5 is good. Currently burning in disks ...
One downside so far - no serial port for my ancient APC Smart UPS.

nick779

Contributor
Does anyone know what size the cache and ZIL drives are? I didnt see that mentioned anywhere.

Im also curious if they include things like extra SATA cables or anything like that with these builds.

Adrian

Contributor
No cache or ZIL SSDs included, but you can buy them.
The only cables in the bits box are ethernet and mains.

Last edited:

joeschmuck

Old Man
Are those new models based on ASRock or Supermicro hardware ? Especially taking Mini XL+ ?

found answer to my question : https://www.servethehome.com/freenas-mini-xl-plus-review-8-bays-10gbe/
Very good review of the new FreeNAS Mini Server. I think it's a very good price as well for the overall system.

@JoshDW19 It's too bad that the Amazon Reviews are based on the old version of this product line, maybe the product line should be very clear that this is a new version of the server and make a distinction from the old version, I'd add something like "V2" for version 2 or specify that you are using a Supermicro motherboard and DDR4 ECC RDIMM RAM. Add the new availability date of the product so buys can differentiate the 2016 model from the 2019 model. Add "New and Improved". You get my point, there are a dozen ways to advertise this as a new and improved device and I'd address every negative comment about the previous device such as "Virtually silent", "Improved Maximum RAM capacity from 64MB to 256MB". While I'm not looking to replace my current system, If I were a buyer then I'd reference the reviews and questions section, I'd note the review dates and realize all the comments are against the older system. I might even try to add a link to the STH link for the review so the buyer has an independent review to reference. I hope these comments are taken as constructive, as I intend them to be.