New at freenas and need help

Viox

Dabbler
Hello, I am very new to the freenas system, for a few months ago I built a nas for my home to have photos and videos in. I built it and installed freenas on a usb stick, it ran so good for like a four or five weeks, then i was going away from home for a like two or three days, then when i came home I was going to start it.

So i turned the computer on and it was like normal, but i waited for a while but it never came up on my computer, so i was trying to go in to the freenas site on a webb browser, but nothing. So I got a monitor and got this code, (freenas stopped at kdb_enter+0x3b) and i have tried to read about it but I don't know what to do, will all my pictures and videos be gone, or what can i do?

Really need help, and are so glad for all the help I can get.

// Viox

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Hard to say for sure with the information you shared so far, but there's a reasonable chance your data is fine.

You might want to try building a new USB and see if you can install it (don't use the same physical USB stick as before).

If you can get FreeNAS to run again, we can then talk about what might be done to get it to see your data again.

Viox

Dabbler
Hello, and thank you for your respond, so if I change the boot usb to a new one, it should maybe fix the problem, but not delat the files?

MikeyG

Patron
Hello, and thank you for your respond, so if I change the boot usb to a new one, it should maybe fix the problem, but not delat the files?
Yes, the boot drive and OS are separate from the pool your data is on. Re-creating the boot drive should have no effect on the data you previously stored.

Viox

Dabbler
Ok, so I just take a new usb download the file from freenas, then make the new usb a boot usb and drag the file in there, then plug it in in the nas and boot from it? or am I wrong out here?

MikeyG

Patron
Ok, so I just take a new usb download the file from freenas, then make the new usb a boot usb and drag the file in there, then plug it in in the nas and boot from it? or am I wrong out here?

I'm not sure what you mean by "download the file." I think the suggestion was to reinstall the OS on another drive. If I was intending for the OS to reside on a USB drive, this would involve two drives: One for the OS, and another that has the FreeNAS install on it. I'm not sure if you are asking how to create the installer drive, or if you are asking how to install FreeNAS from it. I don't think there is any "dragging the file" involved in that process though.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Just for safety's sake - while creating a new install shouldn't impact your data drives, I would suggest you power down the system, and disconnect all the hard drives first. This will ensure that you can't accidentally select one during the FreeNAS install.

Once you've confirmed that your new system is booting from the new USB stick, you can shut down again, reconnect the drives, and import the previous pool (don't create a new one!)

Viox

Dabbler
ok, I'm not sure I understod what you ment sorry?, But at the moment i have a usb for boot and two hdd drives for storage

Viox

Dabbler
Just for safety's sake - while creating a new install shouldn't impact your data drives, I would suggest you power down the system, and disconnect all the hard drives first. This will ensure that you can't accidentally select one during the FreeNAS install.

Once you've confirmed that your new system is booting from the new USB stick, you can shut down again, reconnect the drives, and import the previous pool (don't create a new one!)

ok that I do undestand will try it tomorrow

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
ok that I do undestand will try it tomorrow
You will want to insert your new, blank USB stick into the FreeNAS machine, and then either burn the installation ISO to a CD/DVD, or create a second bootable USB stick from the installer ISO.