Network Interfaces Tab

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwwalk1970

Dabbler
I want to change the interface from DHCP to Static but the GUI is not showing the interface under the interface section for me to edit. It does show in network summary. Just curious if others have seen this issue where the interface is not showing in the interfaces tab?

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
???which version of FreeNAS and which version of GUI???

bwwalk1970

Dabbler
I did just find this in the docs

Typically, the interface used to access the FreeNAS® administrative GUI is configured by DHCP. This interface does not appear in this screen, even though it is already dynamically configured and in use.

Wandering if you select the interface in ADD Interface and configure there if that will work. My hesitation is this device is remote so if it goes unresponsive I need to drive to it :(

bwwalk1970

Dabbler
Name IPv4 Address IPv6 Address

igb2 172.16.30.117/24

em0 0.0.0.0/8

Nameserver

Default route

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Wandering if you select the interface in ADD Interface and configure there if that will work. My hesitation is this device is remote so if it goes unresponsive I need to drive to it
Why do you want to change it if it is working and the change might break it at a time when you are not able to be present to fix the problem?
That is a perfect recipe for disaster.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
My hesitation is this device is remote so if it goes unresponsive I need to drive to it :(
If you have an IPMI interface set up, you should be able to access the console and reconfigure the DHCP address
should things go south.
If this machine is a production server, I'd wait until I had onsite access.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I want to change the interface from DHCP to Static but the GUI is not showing the interface under the interface section for me to edit.
The only interfaces in the list under the "Interfaces" tab are the ones that are configured, meaning that you configured them. My NAS has a 10Gb interface listed in the Interfaces tab but if I click the Add Interface button, and click the drop-down next to NIC:, I can see that there are 4 other 1Gb interfaces in the system that are not configured. You pick the one (hopefully the right one) that you want to configure and tell the system how you want it to be configured.
Good luck.
I hope you don't have to make a drive if you pick the wrong one.

bwwalk1970

Dabbler
Why do you want to change it if it is working and the change might break it at a time when you are not able to be present to fix the problem?
That is a perfect recipe for disaster.
The server is currently using a DHCP address and I need to assign a static IP that is not in DHCP pool. That is a standard process.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
The server is currently using a DHCP address and I need to assign a static IP that is not in DHCP pool. That is a standard process.
I agree completely that the server should be on a static address that is not in the DHCP pool. The problem is, you are not there to man the local console if connectivity is lost.
I get what you are trying to do. I am all about that. I can't see doing it remotely.

bwwalk1970

Dabbler
The only interfaces in the list under the "Interfaces" tab are the ones that are configured, meaning that you configured them. My NAS has a 10Gb interface listed in the Interfaces tab but if I click the Add Interface button, and click the drop-down next to NIC:, I can see that there are 4 other 1Gb interfaces in the system that are not configured. You pick the one (hopefully the right one) that you want to configure and tell the system how you want it to be configured.
Good luck.
I hope you don't have to make a drive if you pick the wrong one.
So that is my question. If I select the interface that is configured via DHCP and hard set the parameters, is that the way to set it as static? In my case it is
igb2 172.16.30.117/24

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
That is a standard process.
Like @BigDave said, if you have IPMI capability on the system (what is the hardware) you can use the console remotely. I am guessing that you have VPN connectivity to the remote network?

bwwalk1970

Dabbler
Like @BigDave said, if you have IPMI capability on the system (what is the hardware) you can use the console remotely. I am guessing that you have VPN connectivity to the remote network?
yes, I have VPN access. I am working on setting up IPMI. I can SSH to the server now but I need to setup console via IPMI or server DRAC

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
So that is my question. If I select the interface that is configured via DHCP and hard set the parameters, is that the way to set it as static? In my case it is
igb2 172.16.30.117/24
That should work, but it has been a longish time since I had to do that. If I recall correctly, as soon as I applied the change, I lost connectivity to the web UI and had to go to the other IP address and login again. The last time I needed to change the configuration was different though because I was switching from a 1Gb interface to a 10Gb interface, and I had to use the IPMI console to do that because it has a separate IP address that didn't change.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
I'm not an IT professional, so take this with a grain of salt, but I would never attempt
an offsite change of any type without having a static IP into the BMC already functional.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I'm not an IT professional, so take this with a grain of salt, but I would never attempt
an offsite change of any type without having a static IP into the BMC already functional.
I am an IT professional and I have tried to do changes remotely and ended up driving to go fix it. It happens.
I do try to be onsite or have an onsite tech that can be a remote-controlled set of hands if things go badly.
The worst it ever was, I had to fly from Mississippi to California and then drive to Twentynine Palms to replace a satellite down-link.
Once I got onsite, I found that it was only a bad cable and the work took just about an hour.
It took SO much longer to travel there than it took to do the work, about 2.5 hours (one way) to drive out there after I was in California.

Status
Not open for further replies.