Network contains ethernet bridge?

itskando

Contributor
I have a network setup as:

ISP -- Modem -- Google Wifi (Primary) --wifi-- Google Wifi (Secondary) -- Ethernet Switch -- NAS

I'm trying to setup an openVPN jail, but I haven't made progress for a while now.

I'm wondering if the use of either
• the wifi AP to wifi AP connection or
• the ethernet switch
constitute as an Ethernet Bridge,
which the openVPN server config file
contains additional measures for.

itskando

Contributor

itskando

Contributor
I believe that my issue at that time was that I was wired into a WiFi extender, and the server wanted to be hooked (through any number of ethernet switches) directly to the router.

I'm sure that it's possible to go through the wifi extender, but the bandwidth losses aren't worth it and there's little documentation on how to easily set it up.

Other issues I had were failing to port forward. I documented most things in a different thread which I marked solved.

itskando

Contributor

itskando

Contributor
If you follow the whole thing, I was pretty articulate about my process

no_connection

Patron
IIRC unless the wifi bridge support WDS you can't have more than one client attached since MAC address of the client is not added to the wireless packet thus it won't know who it's for.

itskando

Contributor
I feel like in my case, Google wifi does support that, not that interfacing with it is very open.

But any device on the network has individual Mac address, independent of whether through extender or not

no_connection

Patron
But any device on the network has individual Mac address, independent of whether through extender or not
I am a bit rusty on my WiFi but without WDS you only have two MAC addresses in the frame, one is the wireless sender and one is the wireless transmitter. So it won't know any MAC address located beyond those. WDS have four fields so it knows the real sender and reciever + what is used for the wireless link itself.

Anyway the poster that bumped the thread appeared to be a spammer thus the post was deleted.
So I guess this is in the "good to know" category in case someone finds it in the future.