Network access from Plugin jail?

Status
Not open for further replies.

petterb

Cadet
Hi.

I have installed the Plugin jail according to the instructions in http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Plugins. I used the same IP as inte example 10.0.0.1 and I can now reach the jail from the host (using ping, ssh and jexec). It seems however that I can not access the host (or the Internet which is what I really want to do to e.g. install ports) from the jail, is this how it should be? What am I missing?

/Petter

ProtoSD

MVP
Petter,

Why would you use the same IP as an example if it doesn't correspond to the rest of your IP addresses?

Does your NAS or other devices also use addresses in the 10.0.0.1 address range?

Did you setup a DNS server in FreeNAS before setting up the PBI Jail?

The PBI Jail is *almost* the same as a physical computer, it doesn't have a crystal ball, so the basic network settings are still important.

I think one other person ran into this same problem, so I think the instructions you linked to above need to be updated to mention the DNS requirement, but just picking the IP address used in the example isn't going to work unless it corresponds to the rest of your network.

ProtoSD

MVP
I updated the documentation to mention setting DNS as well as selecting your timezone before creating the PBI jail. Hopefully that will help avoid future confusion, but if you're still having trouble post back.

petterb

Cadet
OK, thanks, now it works. Sorry for posting such a dumb question.

Some follow-up questions:
1. Can the jail get the IP from my DHCP server?
2. Can the FreeNAS host get the DNS address from my DHCP server?

/Petter

ProtoSD

MVP
No worries, glad that solved your problem.

1) I don't use DHCP for FreeNAS, so I'm not certain, but *I think* DHCP should work with the jail. The problem is that some plugins might have trouble if the IP address isn't static. I also don't know if the GUI allows for setting up DHCP addresses for the jail.

2) If you have DHCP setup for FreeNAS and the DHCP server knows the DNS server address, it will pass it to FreeNAS when it assigns the address. I think the jail might not inherit that properly when you use DHCP.

I think overall, using a static IP address for the jail you will have fewer problems with some plugins as long as you set the DNS server (and timezone) before installing the PBI jail. If I haven't missed something, I'm guessing this should be fixed before the final release.

-- Proto

Status
Not open for further replies.