Need help with disc that cannot be opened

ethereal

Guru
I got a message a couple of days ago that one of my pools was degraded. I tried a reboot and it is still degraded.

This is the email i got - One or more devices could not be opened
* Device: /dev/da6 [SAT], not capable of SMART self-check

* Device: /dev/da6 [SAT], failed to read SMART Attribute Data

* Device: /dev/da6 [SAT], Read SMART Self-Test Log Failed

When i went to storage discs the drive is not there. So what i want to know is how to get access to the disc so i can do some testing on it.
Please bear in mind this is the first time i've used the new interface to deal with a problem and i have huntingtons disease.

i'd like to get access to the disc in freenas so i can run smart tests. As i cannot see it in the discs list will i have to remove it from freenas, wipe it and stick it back in?

thank you

Hi @ethereal, sorry to hear you're having troubles with your setup.

i'd like to get access to the disc in freenas so i can run smart tests. As i cannot see it in the discs list will i have to remove it from freenas, wipe it and stick it back in?
I would recommend against reusing the disk, in general. If the disk is experiencing issues it may be best to replace it.

I think the first thing you may want to do is make sure your data is safe. Once you've done that then you can turn your attention to working out the issue with this specific disk. In my opinion, you should do a bit of quick troubleshooting and if that fails then buy a replacement disk; burn it in; and follow the User Guide's instructions for replacing a failed disk. If you're using encryption be sure to follow the guide's recommendations there as well.

For basic troubleshooting make sure the cables are all well seated for the drive. Occasionally, and unexpectedly sometimes, a cable can come loose and cause an issue like this. If that doesn't bring the disk back, assume it is too far gone to use in your pool anymore.

Also, a couple of quick questions.

Is your signature up to date? Are you on 11.2-U6?And I assume it was a data drive that has failed? Which drive was it? Would you mind posting the output of zpool status?

ethereal

Guru
thank you for your reply

i am using 11.2-u6 and i have 2 raidz2s. the reason i was going to do some more testing before replacing it was.

2/3 weeks ago the other pool hdds were aborting smart tests. four out of six disc were affected. the problem was fixed after a reboot everything was okay. this is why i thought it maybe freenas again and not the hdd.

the problem disc has 7847 hours approximately on it. and it has a 3 year warranty. i have removed the discs from 8TB mybooks. i have 1 pool 6 x3 tb Raidz2 and the other is 4 x 8TB Raidz2

Code:

########## ZPool status report summary for all pools ##########

+--------------+--------+------+------+------+----+--------+------+-----+
|Pool Name     |Status  |Read  |Write |Cksum |Used|Scrub   |Scrub |Last |
|              |        |Errors|Errors|Errors|    |Repaired|Errors|Scrub|
|              |        |      |      |      |    |Bytes   |      |Age  |
|freenas-boot  |ONLINE  |     0|     0|     0| 28%|       0|     0|    1|
|Storage      ?|ONLINE  |     0|     0|     0| 83%|       0|     0|    2|
|Working      !|DEGRADED|     0|     0|     0| 93%|       0|     0|    3|

########## ZPool status report for freenas-boot ##########

pool: freenas-boot
 state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 00:01:28 with 0 errors on Mon Nov 11 03:46:28 2019
config:

NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
    freenas-boot  ONLINE       0     0     0
      mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
        ada0p2  ONLINE       0     0     0
        ada3p2  ONLINE       0     0     0

errors: No known data errors

########## ZPool status report for Storage ##########

pool: Storage
 state: ONLINE
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 13:53:49 with 0 errors on Sun Nov 10 13:54:51 2019
config:

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
    Storage                                         ONLINE       0     0     0
      raidz2-0                                      ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/c82e64d9-08c8-11e6-af21-002590d51bcc  ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/c900ab50-08c8-11e6-af21-002590d51bcc  ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/c9ce79d8-08c8-11e6-af21-002590d51bcc  ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/ca8cde35-08c8-11e6-af21-002590d51bcc  ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/93c250a2-5139-11e9-b957-002590d51bcc  ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/cc0ff7c7-08c8-11e6-af21-002590d51bcc  ONLINE       0     0     0

########## ZPool status report for Working ##########

pool: Working
 state: DEGRADED
status: One or more devices could not be opened.  Sufficient replicas exist for
    the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state.
action: Attach the missing device and online it using 'zpool online'.
   see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-2Q
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 17:17:15 with 0 errors on Sat Nov  9 17:17:34 2019
config:

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
    Working                                         DEGRADED     0     0     0
      raidz2-0                                      DEGRADED     0     0     0
        gptid/c017dfa0-3db1-11e8-8175-002590d51bcc  ONLINE       0     0     0
        gptid/230564fa-7882-11e8-b523-002590d51bcc  ONLINE       0     0     0
        138121801321752784                          UNAVAIL      0     0     0  was /dev/gptid/3b5d3879-0198-11e9-b4af-002590d51bcc
        gptid/2938ee15-50f2-11e9-a597-002590d51bcc  ONLINE       0     0     0

2/3 weeks ago the other pool hdds were aborting smart tests. four out of six disc were affected. the problem was fixed after a reboot everything was okay. this is why i thought it maybe freenas again and not the hdd.
Typically smart test issues are not FreeNAS but the disks. A reboot may cause some errors to go away but that doesnt necessarily mean the disks are fine now.

I use my FreeNAS to hold very important data. I wont tolerate data loss and so when I get any indication a drive is bad I replace it. Once replaced I then may mess with the drive to see if is salvageable in any way. So far I have not salvaged a single disk.

and it has a 3 year warranty. i have removed the discs from 8TB mybooks.
I'm not sure you'll still have the warranty if you dismantled an external drive.

Code:
########## ZPool status report summary for all pools ##########

|Pool Name     |Status  |Read  |Write |Cksum |Used|Scrub   |Scrub |Last |
|              |        |Errors|Errors|Errors|    |Repaired|Errors|Scrub|
|              |        |      |      |      |    |Bytes   |      |Age  |
|freenas-boot  |ONLINE  |     0|     0|     0| 28%|       0|     0|    1|
|Storage      ?|ONLINE  |     0|     0|     0| 83%|       0|     0|    2|
|Working      !|DEGRADED|     0|     0|     0| 93%|       0|     0|    3|
Those two pools that are over 80% used may need some work. FreeNAS performance degrades if over 80% of the space in a pool is used. If completely filled you can have all kinds of trouble including potentially losing access to the data without complicated intervention.

My suggestion to you is this.

Either expand both pools or delete data on them to get space usage below 80%. The User Guide details ways to expand pools.

Pick up a replacement drive for the one causing problems.

If you frequently have drives go unavailable and then come back you may have a controller issue. With an older board it could be that it is worn out. Consider this as well.

Anyway, these are my suggestions, best if luck.

ethereal

Guru
Typically smart test issues are not FreeNAS but the disks. A reboot may cause some errors to go away but that doesnt necessarily mean the disks are fine now.

I use my FreeNAS to hold very important data. I won't tolerate data loss and so when I get any indication a drive is bad I replace it. Once replaced I then may mess with the drive to see if is salvageable in any way. So far I have not salvaged a single disk.

I'm not sure you'll still have the warranty if you dismantled an external drive.

Those two pools that are over 80% used may need some work. FreeNAS performance degrades if over 80% of the space in a pool is used. If completely filled you can have all kinds of trouble including potentially losing access to the data without complicated intervention.

My suggestion to you is this.

Either expand both pools or delete data on them to get space usage below 80%. The User Guide details ways to expand pools.

Pick up a replacement drive for the one causing problems.

If you frequently have drives go unavailable and then come back you may have a controller issue. With an older board it could be that it is worn out. Consider this as well.

Anyway, these are my suggestions, best if luck.
i was told in the other thread problem was not bad drives.

this is the first time that a drive has disappeared for no real reason - i've replaced 5 drives before and they always had bad sectors or checksum errors.

at christmas i am buying 2 more 8tb my books to add to that pool.

i still have the case for my external hdd so the warranty will be ok

i've taken the drive out of freenas and it passed a short test - i am running a long test at the moment i will know in about 12 hours if it is good

i was told in the other thread problem was not bad drives.
Ah well I didnt see the other thread, perhaps I am wrong.

As I said, I am pretty conservative with risking my data. If you believe the drive is good I would suspect cables or the controller before the OS.

ethereal

Guru
it passed the full test - so i put it back in freenas and it is resilvering now

ethereal

Guru
scrub is finished. the pool and disc are good

Good news then! Obviously you'll want to keep a close eye on that disk.

ethereal

Guru