Need help setting up FreeNAS W/ no internet access

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLMJOSLIN

Dabbler
Hello, I've recently moved and the only access to internet is by satellite. The max speeds are around 4 Mbps, and costs around $90/ Month with a data cap of 100GB. I would prefer to not go this route but instead find some means of accessing my shares using a local network. I have a decent amount of Cat 6 and I have an Apple Airport Extreme, the machines that will be accessing my shares will all have wired connections as well. If anyone would be kind enough to provide guidance on how to get this type of network setup your assistance would be greatly appreciated. Also if there is any additional hardware I may need for this network please let me know.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I think I'm a bit lost here or you are just asking a simple network question. This is not a FreeNAS question, it's a networking 101 question.

Are you asking how to connect up your FreeNAS via a hard wired Ethernet? If this is the case then all you need is an unmanaged network switch with as many ports as you have computers and then run the Ethernet cables from each computer to that network switch and one Ethernet cable from the FreeNAS box to that same switch. Also connect your Satellite internet connection if it has DHCP so you get IP addresses assigned, you don't need to use the internet access if you don't want to, or you will need to assign a static IP address to them if desired or add your own personal firewall/router to do this task. I'm not sure why you mentioned the Apple Airport Extreme unless you also want some limited WiFi connection but if you can use hardwire then you will get the best performance.

Last edited:

DLMJOSLIN

Dabbler
No I’m wanting to cut out internet all together but still use my FreeNAS server. To access my files or upload files if need be.

Last edited by a moderator:

danb35

Hall of Famer
I’m wanting to cut out internet all together but still use my freenas server.
So what's stopping you? Nothing about FreeNAS requires Internet access to operate. Put it on your network, log in, share files. What does the Internet have to do with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.