SOLVED Need help please-FN 11.2.U5 Unusable Pool-ports using Sata Express (backward to Sata only ports)

No worries, move on with zpool import -m Data-Storage.

1kokies

Contributor
No worries, move on with zpool import -m Data-Storage.
output=waited about 10 seconds and returned back to prompt
Code:
root@freenas:~ # zpool import -m Data-Storage
root@freenas:~ #

alright, and now what about zpool status Data-Storage? If you see it, great!

1kokies

Contributor
all right, and now what about zpool status Data-Storage? If you see it, great!
output=i see it but not sure if it is successfully imported
Code:
root@freenas:~ # zpool status Data-Storage
  pool: Data-Storage
 state: ONLINE
status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
        corruption.  Applications may be affected.
action: Restore the file in question if possible.  Otherwise restore the
        entire pool from backup.
   see: http://illumos.org/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 10:50:26 with 0 errors on Sun Jun  3 10:50:28 2018
config:

NAME                                            STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
        Data-Storage                                    ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz2-0                                      ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/13105a29-c624-11e7-bbe0-086266295468  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/1405e572-c624-11e7-bbe0-086266295468  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/e3502be7-ec58-11e7-81f8-086266295468  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/bfdede03-ed42-11e7-969f-086266295468  ONLINE       0     0     0
          raidz2-1                                      ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/367a9015-c625-11e7-bbe0-086266295468  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/18a60acb-ecae-11e7-af1c-086266295468  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/8cc6f7c5-ec2f-11e7-8da4-086266295468  ONLINE       0     0     0
            gptid/0544db8f-ece7-11e7-ad97-086266295468  ONLINE       0     0     0
        logs
          1100341364746838742                           UNAVAIL      0     0     0  was /dev/gptid/d3317a51-d4e1-11e7-8c89-086266295468

errors: 1 data errors, use '-v' for a list

Sweet! Now, lets get rid of that damned log device. zpool remove Data-Storage 1100341364746838742. Then, give me another zpool status -v Data-Storage. Note I added a -v flag this time, it'll give more output.

Edit: You may not have noticed but we made a HUGE jump forward here. That line state went from UNAVAIL -> ONLINE

1kokies

Contributor
Sweet! Now, lets get rid of that damned log device. zpool remove Data-Storage 1100341364746838742. Then, give me another zpool status Data-Storage
OMG Philo, i think we are nearly there
output
Code:
root@freenas:~ # zpool remove Data-Storage 1100341364746838742
root@freenas:~ # zpool status Data-Storage
        entire pool from backup.
  scan: scrub repaired 0 in 0 days 10:50:26 with 0 errors on Sun Jun  3 10:50:28 2018
config:

errors: 1 data errors, use '-v' for a list

We are nearly there, you're right. Give me that zpool status -v Data-Storage, with the -v flag. That will tell us if any files were corrupted by all of this.

Then, go ahead and export the pool from the CLI with zpool export Data-Storage and then import it in the GUI by navigating to Pool->Add->Import and Existing Pool. This last step will import the pool such that FreeNAS can manage it as it normally would.

1kokies

Contributor
We are nearly there, you're right. Give me that zpool status -v Data-Storage, with the -v flag. That will tell us if any files were corrupted by all of this.
output
Code:
root@freenas:~ # zpool status -v Data-Storage
        entire pool from backup.
config:

errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:

Data-Storage/VM-DS:<0x0>

Then, go ahead and export the pool from the CLI with zpool export Data-Storage and then import it in the GUI by navigating to Pool->Add->Import and Existing Pool. This last step will import the pool such that FreeNAS can manage it as it normally would.
doing this now

1kokies

Contributor
output
Code:
root@freenas:~ # zpool export Data-Storage

GUI screenshots attached

Attachments

• DataStorageimport1.PNG
    DataStorageimport1.PNG
    22.3 KB · Views: 212
  • DataStorageimport2.PNG
    DataStorageimport2.PNG
    23.9 KB · Views: 211
  • DataStorageimport3.PNG
    DataStorageimport3.PNG
    19.1 KB · Views: 205
  • DataStorageimport4.PNG
    DataStorageimport4.PNG
    22.3 KB · Views: 216
Great, go ahead and import it. When you're done what is the status, online?

Once you import it I recommend you do some things, in this order.
  1. Make a backup of any data off of Data-Storage if you don't already have one.
  2. Start a Scrub of Data-Storage (you may want to wait until the backup is complete).
  3. Configure regular short and long smart tests for all of your HDDs. I do daily short and weekly long tests.
  4. Configure regular scrubs of all of your pools.
  5. Configure email alerting.
  6. Pick up an HBA, such as this one, which will allow you avoid having to use that RAID card.

1kokies

Contributor
Great, go ahead and import it. When you're done what is the status, online?
OMG Philo it's done ! Thank you x10 so much for this ! this storage pool is where i keep all our stuff and it is pretty pretty important. i reached out to many of my friends locally and ...............but i found help here in you. What you have done, is an important milestone to us. Thank you, sincerely ;)

Is there any way i can contribute back ? if i could i will fly to Boston to shake your hands.

God bless you Philo.

Once you import it I recommend you do some things, in this order.
  1. Make a backup of any data off of Data-Storage if you don't already have one.
  2. Start a Scrub of Data-Storage (you may want to wait until the backup is complete).
  3. Configure regular short and long smart tests for all of your HDDs. I do daily short and weekly long tests.
  4. Configure regular scrubs of all of your pools.
  5. Configure email alerting.
  6. Pick up an HBA, such as this one, which will allow you avoid having to use that RAID card.
1. yes i am in the midst of backing up files that i did not back up
2. yes, will do. in the process of recovering there were some lost files, will scrubs help ?
3. yes i see the long tests are important now
4. i had done monthly scrubs a year before, but it gets really hot for the disks and until it shuts down, this is why i bought those hdd bays that has fans behind them so that i can resume with the monthly scrubs
5. yes i have
6. OK but i do have many of my existing raid cards as i know how to flash them. will look at the one you recommended

1kokies

Contributor
Did it work @1kokies?
Totally did, here's the screen shot

i hope what you have done will philanthropically benefit those who have similar situation, most of our process are in this thread

Attachments

• DataStorageimport5.PNG
    DataStorageimport5.PNG
    51 KB · Views: 214
OMG Philo it's done ! Thank you x10 so much for this ! this storage pool is where i keep all our stuff and it is pretty pretty important. i reached out to many of my friends locally and ...............but i found help here in you. What you have done, is an important milestone to us. Thank you, sincerely ;)

Is there any way i can contribute back ? if i could i will fly to Boston to shake your hands.

God bless you Philo.
You're welcome, I'm glad we got your data back. Thank you for being patient with me while we worked through what was going on. I'm sorry to hear some of the files may have been corrupted/lost; at least it isn't everything.

The best way you can give back is by sticking around the forums and help people out where they need it or asking questions where you're confused. These forums are a wealth of information and they are made better when more people contribute. The forums are also made better when everyone is friendly and polite. So that is my suggestion. :)

2. yes, will do. in the process of recovering there were some lost files, will scrubs help ?
Unlikely but possible. Do you have periodic snapshots configured? If so, that might help?

6. OK but i do have many of my existing raid cards as i know how to flash them. will look at the one you recommended
There are many cards that will work, I would stick with one that is known to play nicely with FreeBSD and FreeNAS, which is why I suggested the one I did.

I got some good advice early on when I started with FreeNAS and zfs that is relevant here I think. No amount of redundancy in a vdev is a replacement for a backup. For that reason, if you can, you should follow the 3-2*-1 backup rule. Keep 3 copies of your data, keep copies on two different type of media*, and keep at lest one copy off-site.

My personal backup strategy is as follows
- Every pool is configured to have periodic snapshots taken
- I have a second FreeNAS server in my home built from cheap used parts
- For every pool in my primary server there are two backup pools composed of two disks in a mirror. For example vault has vault1 and vault2. At any given time only one of the backup pools is in my backup machine; the other pool is off-site in a safety deposit box.
- I have ZFS replication tasks configured on main server to send those periodic snapshots to my backup server automatically.
- Every week or so I swap out vault1 with vault2.

I have 3 pools containing my data, the primary pool, and vault1 + vault2. The latter two are mirrors so in some sense I have 5 copies rather than 3 copies of my data.

I don't use 2 types of media but I think I satisfy the spirit of the rule by using different machines and ZFS vdevs which get updated regularly

And 1 set of backups is off-site at all time. This protects me from catastrophe at home such as fire or flood.

Anyway, I ramble too much. I'm really happy you got your pool back. If you get stuck with any of my suggestions or are looking at hardware etc feel free to post a new thread and someone will help you I'm sure.

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, don't forget the 80% rule. ZFS performance can tank after filling up more than 80% of a pool. If you fill it completely you can have serious issues importing the pool and may be locked out forever.

Also, about the SLOG. SLOGs are great! I know you had issues here, but I suspect it was compounded by other factors. Two things you should keep in mind if you add another SLOG; you probably want a device with Power Loss Protection (PLP) and many people choose to use mirrored SLOGs so that if one goes down the other continues to function. I don't want to go too in depth here because it can get complicated but there is plenty of information on these forums about SLOG devices and how to pick them. :)

AAND keep an eye on those drives with those SMART values we didn't like. If the number doesn't go up anymore you're okay. If it goes up at all, consider replacing them, Also, those other values I listed way way back should always have the last value of 0. If it goes to greater than 0 it is a bad thing and you should consider replacing the drive; even if the SMART test doesn't report it as a failure and the drive is still otherwise functional. The reason is that it is indication of a possible upcoming failure so best to replace it before everything goes to shit.

1kokies

Contributor
You're welcome, I'm glad we got your data back. Thank you for being patient with me while we worked through what was going on. I'm sorry to hear some of the files may have been corrupted/lost; at least it isn't everything.
Thanks for your patience, i was very confused in the earlier posts & despite being a newbie in this forum, you had the patience to guide me.

The best way you can give back is by sticking around the forums and help people out where they need it or asking questions where you're confused. These forums are a wealth of information and they are made better when more people contribute. The forums are also made better when everyone is friendly and polite. So that is my suggestion. :)
yes i can, i can immediately think of 2 that i had experience and solved, of the 3 years i used Freenas. will do it later after settling back ups, recovery, etc.

Unlikely but possible. Do you have periodic snapshots configured? If so, that might help?
yes i do and it's not too critical as data, so it's ok.

I got some good advice early on when I started with FreeNAS and zfs that is relevant here I think. No amount of redundancy in a vdev is a replacement for a backup. For that reason, if you can, you should follow the 3-2*-1 backup rule. Keep 3 copies of your data, keep copies on two different type of media*, and keep at lest one copy off-site.

My personal backup strategy is as follows
- Every pool is configured to have periodic snapshots taken
- I have a second FreeNAS server in my home built from cheap used parts
- For every pool in my primary server there are two backup pools composed of two disks in a mirror. For example vault has vault1 and vault2. At any given time only one of the backup pools is in my backup machine; the other pool is off-site in a safety deposit box.
- I have ZFS replication tasks configured on main server to send those periodic snapshots to my backup server automatically.
- Every week or so I swap out vault1 with vault2.

I have 3 pools containing my data, the primary pool, and vault1 + vault2. The latter two are mirrors so in some sense I have 5 copies rather than 3 copies of my data.

I don't use 2 types of media but I think I satisfy the spirit of the rule by using different machines and ZFS vdevs which get updated regularly

And 1 set of backups is off-site at all time. This protects me from catastrophe at home such as fire or flood.
yes i read your Build and Back Up NAS, very good. i have data on server A and rsycn to Server B, a copy into my laptop and another at external drive which i carry if our whole family/team travels together. But those are my personal files, there are files like movies and others which are >10TB which i can't move physically. It's a long story but yes my design have a flaw and is reflected this round. Thanks for your advice and i will review my storage and back up strategy soon, taking que from yours

Anyway, I ramble too much. I'm really happy you got your pool back. If you get stuck with any of my suggestions or are looking at hardware etc feel free to post a new thread and someone will help you I'm sure.
no you didn't ramble ya ;), it was true pleasure following your guide.

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, don't forget the 80% rule. ZFS performance can tank after filling up more than 80% of a pool. If you fill it completely you can have serious issues importing the pool and may be locked out forever.
yes yes, Freenas will give an alert and i moved out data so that the pool will be 80%

Also, about the SLOG. SLOGs are great! I know you had issues here, but I suspect it was compounded by other factors. Two things you should keep in mind if you add another SLOG; you probably want a device with Power Loss Protection (PLP) and many people choose to use mirrored SLOGs so that if one goes down the other continues to function. I don't want to go too in depth here because it can get complicated but there is plenty of information on these forums about SLOG devices and how to pick them. :)
it's a real nightmare this round, let me recover a bit first ya

AAND keep an eye on those drives with those SMART values we didn't like. If the number doesn't go up any more you're okay. If it goes up at all, consider replacing them, Also, those other values I listed way way back should always have the last value of 0. If it goes to greater than 0 it is a bad thing and you should consider replacing the drive; even if the SMART test doesn't report it as a failure and the drive is still otherwise functional. The reason is that it is indication of a possible upcoming failure so best to replace it before everything goes to crap.
yes, after this round and que from you i have learned not only to take notice on bad sectors but also on disk communication UDMA etc.

Thanks again, Philo !