Need Help - 1st NAS project

mehtaparth94

Cadet
Dear All, Hi - I am Parth from India. I am 25 and A bit of a computer nerd.

I never have been able to handle linux, and this is my first try at utilising an already spare desktop for my small office personal use.

My office basically has PDF files, Excel, Word, Accounting data to be backed up.
Also i wanted to access these files that are backed up from outside my LAN.
Plus - i have some system software running on windows7 PC which i was planning to shift on to virtual VM on this FreeNAS DIY.

I have created a pool, created a new user for my sharing on macos but I am not able to install any plugin.
I have installed and reinstalled the FreeNAS OS atleast 10 or more times with different versions, - 11.2 STABLE, now 11.2-Release even 11.1lastest release. But some or the other Errors come in.. Also lot of Random Reboots

My Configuration is as below:-

CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-4150 CPU @ 3.50GHz (4 cores)
RAM - 8GB DDR4
MOBO - ECS H81H3-M4
HDD - 500 GB Sata HDD 7200 RPM - Plan to have 1TBx2 mirrored

Bios has been updated to the latest version

I am a complete NOOB on this FREENAS bit, i hope someone with patience can help me trouble shoot this.
Please help me Figure this out

Holt Andrei Tiberiu

Contributor
RAM - 8GB DDR4

On 8 GB Ram i would not run VM's, it is a bare minimum for freenas.

MOBO - ECS H81H3-M4

Not my first choice, or last as a MB for Freenas.

What model is you PSU?

If you are sure the PSU is fine, try the folowing:

Get a USB Drive and put MEMTEST on it, and let it run until it finishes the memory testing.
Download the MemTest86 V4.3.7 (OLD RELEASE)
and "burn" it to a usb drive with RUFUS
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

Maybe your memory is faulty.

Also at this point, I am assuming you do not have any over-clock settings in the bios, under volt or over volt settings.

mehtaparth94

Cadet
Hey i know Not a good choice but i want to use this freenas for my homeoffice - using all PDF, EXCEL, WORD files and max use it to have VM windows7 for a call logging software. First i had a 200W PSU but as i had reboots i thought the same as you and changed it to a 400W which i had laying around.

I will lookinto the MemTest

Last edited:

ThreeDee

Guru
hard to help fix your problems on your setup when your setup is the problem, lol.

Browse through the resources and forum posts here and educate yourself a bit. ;)

sremick

Patron
On 8 GB Ram i would not run VM's, it is a bare minimum for freenas.
I have 16GB and I don't think I'd dare trying to run a VM. I'm afraid it'd impact core performance too much.

Only reason I don't have more RAM is that 16GB is the max my motherboard supports.

mehtaparth94

Cadet
hard to help fix your problems on your setup when your setup is the problem, lol.

Browse through the resources and forum posts here and educate yourself a bit. ;)

Hey Dear thanks for the remark, but as i said i am a newbie. looking to run a small storage server on this NAS project and also run some Plugins such as plex media server, transmission - of this sort and also if possible run a VM with minimal resources as i just want a recording call software to be installed in the pc which doesnt takeup ram or cpu

mehtaparth94

Cadet
I have 16GB and I don't think I'd dare trying to run a VM. I'm afraid it'd impact core performance too much.

Only reason I don't have more RAM is that 16GB is the max my motherboard supports.

Ok, Is it ok to run Transmission, plex and a home server on this? or not that too?

mehtaparth94

Cadet
Attaching Memtest Results -
But first tested both sticks individually in both dimm slots with same settings but only 2 passes, came up with no errors.

Below test results for are 4GB x2 running together

Please can you help what could be the exact issue.

Getting fatal trap 9 and 12 errors

Attachments

• IMG_0974.JPG
    IMG_0974.JPG
    234 KB · Views: 389
  • IMG_0973.JPG
    IMG_0973.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_0972.JPG
    IMG_0972.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_0971.JPG
    IMG_0971.JPG
    310.4 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_0970.JPG
    IMG_0970.JPG
    302.7 KB · Views: 400

ThreeDee

Guru
either bad ram or flaky motherboard (bad ram slot maybe?) .. or your mismatching different speed memory..or ...or .. you are running a junk psu that isn't getting enough constant voltage to both sticks of memory. You'll need to swap stuff out and run tests to pinpoint what specific hardware is giving you issues.

Last edited:

sremick

Patron
Your tests are self-explanatory, you don't need anyone here. You have bad RAM or a bad motherboard... doesn't help that none of your hardware is any people would recommend even if it was working.

FreeNAS is not for running on whatever hardware you just have lying around. You buy hardware for FreeNAS.