Need advice on plugins

parkham

Cadet
Should we use plugins? I'm still learing the bsd system.

I installed a bacula plugin, iocaged inside it, but I couldn't install other programs, like nano, for example. I read that the ability to install new programs was turned off by default. Is this true? I didn't check to see if vi was installed (i really hope i dont have to use vi).

Also open to advice on a good backup solution. Thanks for the time.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Should we use plugins?
Depends what you're trying to do. I wouldn't recommend using the Plex plugin--it's so trivial to do a manual installation of Plex in a jail that there's no real benefit to justify the loss of flexibility accompanying a plugin. I wouldn't recommend using the Nextcloud plugin--it's broken and limited enough (despite iX having a PR outstanding for several months to fix it) that IMO it'd be easier to just use my script. There's other software where the plugin makes more sense.
Also open to advice on a good backup solution.
I think the most common answer is either one of the cloud sync providers or replication to another FreeNAS box.

parkham

Cadet
Thanks for your time. I'm testing out Urbackup on a separate server and backing up to a share on the server I bought from IX. Next, I'll be looking to put Crashplan on the server.