NDMP

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I'd say definitely not for FreeNAS, at least not for the forseeable future.

But, if you give iX a call their commercial product, TrueNAS, may have it. Of course, the only way to get TrueNAS is to buy their hardware.

wolfy007

Cadet
Unfortunately I am looking for solutions which can work alongside our NetApp infrastructure, while utilising some of our older Dell server hardware for cheap research project storage. Buying new hardware is not cheap and the faculty accountant will not say yes to me buying new kit at the moment. Oh well, might have to look at other solutions, its a shame I have been using Freenas for a long time personally, thought it might help at work, but I guess not.

wolfy007

Cadet
Feature request #5119, add NDMP support. Wont get it if not asked for I suppose.

matto

FreeBSD Advocate
iXsystems
Right on. We don't have it in TrueNAS yet either but we have looked at it. However, it looks like Bacula and Amanda have it now, so perhaps it's pretty trivial.

wolfy

Cadet
Waiting for two years, and now the ticket #5119 has been closed, possibly getting NDMP via another channel. Must admit Im feeling a little disapointed at this point.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yeah, I just did a little reading up on NDMP implementations on FreeBSD. It look like there are various attempts to get NDMP working, for various definitions of "working". But there doesn't seem to be a really good solid implementation of NDMP that FreeNAS could add support for. :/

I see why the ticket was closed though. The NDMP implementation itself would require more development resources than what iXsystems can provide for such a feature. It's really best to get NDMP implemented on FreeBSD, then ask to have it added to FreeNAS.