NAS DOWN - Please help.

Yorick

Wizard
because I lost 2 for redunandcy and now can only fill the remaining 4 to 75%.

Yeah, that math is about right. I started out with a 5-wide raidz2, got to 75% in one and a half years (oop), moved the data off to a test rig (my desktop with SAS drives from eBay), destroyed the pool and redid it as 8-wide raidz2. Fingers crossed it’ll last me. It really should.

In your case, you chose small drives, which means you have the option of just replacing those 3TB with 8TB or 10TB one by one, if or when you have that itch for more space. The advantage of a 6-wide is that replacing all drives is less of an outlay than with an 8-wide. I was already at 8TB drives, I could have gone to 6-wide from my original 5-wide, but figured I didn’t want to have to do it again 2 years from now - so 8-wide it is.

Having said that, watch me destroy the thing again 2 years from now anyway because I am jonesing for draid, haha.

Last edited:

lessdrama

Dabbler
Hi

For the sake of completeness, I have just updated this post to say that I have now transferred all of the data to the new NAS. I use flash-fxp in site to tite transfer mode to do the copy. You must enable ftp on Freenas (not SFTP) anfd it all copied over in a few days.

I then restarted the original NAS and everything mounted where it should and it looks healthy.

Is there any need to recreate the Volume ?

1597225627308.png

Once again thanks for all of the ideas and support and teaching me not to take my NAS health so lightly.

Best Wishes.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Is there any need to recreate the Volume ?

View attachment 40761

So long as zpool get altroot Vol1 results in /mnt, you can forgo destroying and rebuilding the pool. You may want to run a few more remaps to ensure there's no dangling file system pointers, and a scrub to verify the file system is healthy. Some SMART long tests on each drive wouldn't hurt either.