NAS crashes when transferring at a high rate using Samba

cozmicf

Cadet
Hi everyone,

I have a FreeNAS setup (FreeNAS-11.3-U2.1, on an Intel 4570 with 8GB of RAM) with a Samba share set up (and some jails for Plex, Sonarr, etc).

I have a Windows PC that I access the Samba share with to copy large files. The problem is that when I transfer for a few minutes, eventually the FreeNAS crashes (I can't log in to the web interface, or ping it, the share of course goes down too). It happens after 5-10 minutes, sometimes longer, sometimes earlier. Another clue is that if I connect to the 2.4GHz band on my router and thus reduce my transfer rate from 20-30MBps (on the 5GHz band) to 10-12MBps the FreeNAS is far less likely to crash (although it has a couple of times still).

I have been monitoring the temperatures and CPU utilisation, and it is all very low at the time, even just before the crash. I have also tried swapping RAM sticks (different slots, and different sticks altogether). This happens on both HDDs that are in the machine (one is a 4TB Seagate Expansion shucked drive, and the other an 8TB WD shucked drive)

Can someone please guide me as to how I would go about diagnosing this problem?

Thanks,
Rik.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
What's likely is that you have a NIC that has a poorly written driver or some settings (perhaps hardware offload) that are causing the system to Kernel Panic.

Since you didn't show the brand/model of the NIC you're using, it's hard to suggest what else to look at.

cozmicf

Cadet
Thanks for the reply, and that does seem like a plausible reason. The NIC I have is the one built in to the motherboard (Gigabyte H87M-D3H) which has a Realtek® GbE LAN chip (10/100/1000 Mbit) according to their website.

Will any logs show me some clues about this?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You can enable the debug kernel in system|advanced, but I wouldn't waste your time... the realtek drivers don't have good support in FreeBSD and are known to be problematic. Get yourself a cheap Intel NIC and you'll get along better with FreeNAS.

Lyubomyr83

Dabbler
You can enable the debug kernel in system|advanced, but I wouldn't waste your time... the realtek drivers don't have good support in FreeBSD and are known to be problematic. Get yourself a cheap Intel NIC and you'll get along better with FreeNAS.
I think it’s a bug. Unscheduled system reboot come suddenly with several last updates (don’t really know which one). FreeNAS worked like a clock without any problems several years till now. I try to reinstall my FreeNAS VM without any extended disks, only with host disk (I add 2 partitions 32gb for system and 40gb for pool). And when I try to use transmission plugin for download or try to put some data to pool disk, I receive randomly switching off this VM. And I think, it’s happening when try to put something to disk. I think developers must investigate this thread.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I think it’s a bug. Unscheduled system reboot come suddenly with several last updates
So are you using a supported (Intel) NIC, but seeing instability following the latest updates? or are you also using a realtek adapter?

It's pretty clear that this thread refers to a problem caused by the Realtek drivers which went away when the OP changed to an Intel one.

Lyubomyr83

Dabbler
So are you using a supported (Intel) NIC, but seeing instability following the latest updates? or are you also using a realtek adapter?

It's pretty clear that this thread refers to a problem caused by the Realtek drivers which went away when the OP changed to an Intel one.
I have a virtual mashine with proxmox hypervisor and try change intel virtual to Realtek virtual adapter, try them both. But always random crashes. My motherboard Asus Q87T have two physical adapters.

sretalla