My 'wishes' for FreeNAS ...

TrumanHW

Contributor
I'm not knowledgeable in the least about networking nor Linux ... but I have little 'dreams' of things I'd love to be slightly different or added on to ZFS -- or optional based on the kind of client were I to configure one of these for someone ... please do your best to infer my intended meaning if my grammar/syntax is clunky.

Thanks

I'm close to creating my SSD-based ZFS system ... what are your thoughts on the aforementioned backup and parity strategies?
I believe I can mix 1/3 as 2.5" and the other 2/3 as 3.5 -- and if not, I'll just continue using my PowerEdge T320

HPE DL385
RAIDZ-1 ?? Or is RAIDZ-2 still required (despite the substantially increased speed of rebuilding a drive).
8x 4TB NVMe (PM983 Samsung) ...
8x 10TB HGST SAS drives

IF I have the two arrays within the same server -- can I RSync the NVMe array to the spinning array maybe, every 3rd day..?
The remaining motive for me to continue keeping them separated is
- Further insulation of systems
- Future room to expand the NVMe array...

The backup target (regardless of where it resides) I presume via RSync makes the most sense ..?
The 8x SAS drives will be as RAIDZ-2
8x 10TB HGST SAS drives
Freq.: Daily? Weekly? Suggestions?

Or ... should I still have the NVMe drives be RAIDZ-2 ?

I'd want to schedule R-Sync array of spinning drives to be 'on' while sync-ing (WOL) -- quieter + lower power consumption.

I'm also interested in potentially getting an...

LTO-7 drive and ... adding it within one of the ZFS servers? (Is that possible) ..?

Thanks