My 'wishes' for FreeNAS ...

TrumanHW

Contributor
I'm not knowledgeable in the least about networking nor Linux ... but I have little 'dreams' of things I'd love to be slightly different or added on to ZFS -- or optional based o

BASIC MODE / BEGINNERS / LOW-SECURITY:
1. Substantially simplified -- more assumptions made (pre-configured with torrent manager, etc)
2. Pre-configured to work with all 3 networks (Win / macOS / Linux) -- user creates the [name] of the share, but otherwise, it's pre-set.
3. User names and groups are pre-configured...

MANUAL - Community improvement system:
1. User defined role for Tool Tips:
a. Choose between basic (longhand - explicit requirement for the field)
b. Example Syntax with each term color coded -- and each definition of the terms continued in it's respective color.
c. Link to the Manual available for [either] a. or b. ... AND, if the information within the manual can be improved upon by a user, members can offer solutions by topic, and be voted on for 'usefulness' to see if a revised explanation of the manual can be made more simplified, current, intuitive for beginners.
d. Provide some form of currency or even donation system distributed by either votes for redesigns/rewrites of man pages

Tiered Storage:
1. Add additional means to improve (especially writes) Read-Write performance.
2. Consider using some of the reserved-space of the hard drives in the beginning of the drive as the initial write space prior to permanently writing it out.
a. The closer to the edge of the drive is fastest, interior, the slowest. Perhaps half the reserved space could be in the front of the drive and half in the interior.
b. This could allow arrays to use the reserved blocks in the outer edge as the write area (fastest) and then re-write it out more permanently, from internal storage.
3. Use RAM to temporarily store data in RAM which cannot be written as fast as the source can read.
4. Allow the designation of high-performance storage to serve as a temporary write space and dedicated 'high-performance' Read area (user defines the percent).
a. Consider specifying the amount of RAM reserved to speed up write speeds (per above, "3")
b. If I understand L2Arc, perhaps we could use [an SSD or SSD array] to write data to initially as spinning drives are PAINFULLY slow in RAIDZ-x
c. "L3arc-B" -- Mirror array to the main array (similar to Apple's Fusion). This requires reporting when data is sync'd completely to main array (safe to delete) -- but allow the user to set policy: delete automatically once sync'd ... or, delete manually.

Misc; Connectivity, DAS, Backups:
1. Is there any way to potentially allow computers to connect "peer to peer" with ZFS? Synology, QNAP, etc., are servers running (albeit proprietary OSs) an OS -- which allow you to use them as a DAS via TB2 or TB3 ... and get very good performance. I have SFP+ switch (and even a QSFP+ switch) ... but there are auspices to using TB. Is there ANY hope of eventually being able to configure ZFS with DAS storage features?

2. Back up to Tape -- LTO-7 tapes are very convenient ways of backing up. Would that need to be done via a "client" attached to the ZFS machine? Or is it practical to add an LTO system to ZFS and backup via tape..?

3. What's the easiest means of copying data from a drive in to ZFS: (whether PCI, USB, SAS/SATA, etc.) ..... that's physically connected to the ZFS array?

4. Would it be ill-advised to configure ZFS under say, ESXi -- and run an additional OS to transcode / render data ... ?

Naming convention of Nested Arrays:

1. Is it possible to take 2 arrays and mirror them? Will they be listed as though they're a device? Allowing arrays like:
What is a mirrored array called in ZFS?

Naming Conventions
Mirror RAID-5 RAID 51
Stripe >1 RAID-5 RAID 50

Stripe -- two mirrored sets -- name?
Mirror -- two striped sets -- name?

Could you take 4 mirrored sets and make a RAIDZ-2 ?

Thanks