My new 48 bay build.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I ordered a new chassis. A closeout special. I normally don't buy new, but I made an exception..
It arrived today. 20180131_171915.jpg

http://www.chenbro.com/en-global/products/RackmountChassis/4U_Chassis/NR40700

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
That's it? A box?

Tease.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
That's it? A box?

Tease.
With it being such a giant box and 85 pounds of it, I had to unbox it before I could get it in the house.
20180131_175217.jpg
20180131_175356.jpg
20180131_175441.jpg

Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Last edited:
Hmmmm big case, if I had the cash I would buy one. I would just drive the 20 miles to pick it up and save a hundred bucks on shipping.

tvsjr

Guru
48 drives? At home? Careful, you're gonna end up on /r/datahoarder at that rate :D

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Hmmmm big case, if I had the cash I would buy one. I would just drive the 20 miles to pick it up and save a hundred bucks on shipping.
I bet they would accept an offer of $350.

I would have to sell off the ZEC I have and I am trying to earmark that for a Quanta LB6M.

Have to change O2 sensors on my truck as well and planning to change out injectors since it has nearly 200K on the ones in it. Thankfully my state tax return is back and will pretty much cover that. Maybe I can stretch the Federal to get the case....

After that it's time for bushings and ball joints in the front end and while I am at it I will do a little more work which is going to cost me about 370 total for parts. Once that is done I should be good for another 150K miles.

It's nice having a vehicle that I don't carry a note on but it still requires some work and planning to keep it going, thankfully I can do most anything I need to do myself. My only qualms due to where I live is major engine repairs, transmission or rear end. If I had a house I would not even worry about that.

BTW @Chris Moore how loud is that case. To keep that many drives cool it has to be moving a lot of air.

loch_nas

Explorer
What a beauty! I generally like the Chenbro cases, but this one is extraordinary beautiful.

85 pounds! Was it delivered? If so, I would have liked to see the face of the delivery guy :D

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
BTW @Chris Moore how loud is that case. To keep that many drives cool it has to be moving a lot of air.
It has 10mm fans in the power supplies but the front and mid fans are 120mm. I have not turned it on yet, but I am hopeful that it is not louder than the chassis I already have. I am planning a transplant of my existing NAS into this new chassis to give me room to add more drives.

Evertb1

Guru
Looking good but not very domesticated:)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I completed the work on this today. Transplanted the components of one of my existing systems into this case. It went amazingly well.
The system is very quiet, even the small fans in the power supplies were much quieter than the ones that I had in my the Supermicro chassis that this replaced. It generates less heat from the power supplies, so less heat overall.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
When I transferred everything over to the new system, I changed the heatsink and thought it would be an improvement, but then I loaded the system up and the CPU temp spiked to 73 degrees. I don't recall it ever getting that hot before. The new heatsink is quieter, but the cooling efficiency just doesn't appear to be good enough.

Does anyone have a recommendation for an LGA 1155 cooler that will fit inside 3U but works well?

Here is the screen:
CPU Temp.PNG

Last edited:

loch_nas

Explorer
I don't know how much space there is from mainboard to chassis.
with 110mm height:
Noctua NH-D9L

Edit:
I'm such an idiot. On Newegg I've found following information for this cooler:
  • 110mm height to fit 3U chassis

Last edited:

LTCM

Dabbler
What's your exhaust fan setup look like? I wonder if it's more an issue of high case temps not allowing for proper cooling. I don't know exactly how many drives you have in there right now, but you have got to be putting a lot of heat into the air before it even gets to the cpu.

73 is high, but not critical IMHO unless you spend a lot of time at 100% on the cpu.

tvsjr

Guru
I've been satisfied with every Noctua product I've purchased. I have an NH-L9I in my Supermicro NVR build (non-SM motherboard, as I needed something that supports Quick Sync, but a 2U SM chassis) and it works well. The usual warnings of preparing the surfaces well and applying the proper amount of a quality thermal compound apply.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
What's your exhaust fan setup look like?
This chassis has three 120mm front intake fans and three more 120mm fans in the mid chassis fan wall. The ones at the mid chassis fan wall are connected to the system board and controlled by it along with the CPU fan. The rear of the chassis is thoroughly perforated to allow air from the drive space to flow over the system board for cooling and the "System Temp" measure in the IPMI interface never went above 37 Celsius, it was just the CPU that got hot. The old CPU cooler did a fine job of keeping the system cool, but I could hear the high pitched fan noise from across the room when it would go up to full speed. The new CPU cooler was nice and quiet, and that was great, but the temperature kind of annoys me. The idle temp looks to be a little higher also. No question I will get something different, I am just trying to decide what.

Other than that, this new chassis is doing great. All the data drives (only 16 so far) are between 28 and 31 Celsius and even the boot drives that are at the very back of the chassis in the exhaust air are at 35 Celsius. It is quiet and works great except for that new CPU cooler that I thought was going to be an upgrade and has let me down. The pain of it is, I will probably need to pull the system board out of the chassis to replace the cooler with anything else because of the bracket under the board. That is the whole reason I waited until this transplant operation to make the change to begin with.

Last edited:

loch_nas

Explorer
Which cooler model is it that gets so warm?

Like I've said, the Noctua NH-D9L should fit. It's not really cheap, but the quality is great, especially the quality of the fan.
The best part of the Noctuas is the installation, very clean and easy. A child could do the installation without a problem.