Multiple IP / interfaces for jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scentle5S

Explorer
Hi,

I have a dual NIC motherboard on my FreeNAS, one of them being plugged to my router (192.168.1.1/24 network). I'll spare you the details of my home configuration, but the thing is that I can't always connect my laptop to the router via ethernet, so when I need full bandwidth I plug it directly to the NAS via the second NIC (192.168.0.1/24 network). But there's a problem when I want to use some plugins installed inside jails since they only get the IP I specified, which is on the 192.168.1.1/24 network, so no way for me to access them directly plugged on the NAS.

Is there a way to add an alias or something to a jail so that it can communicate through both NICs, just like FreeNAS does ?

Thanks

Scentle5S

Explorer
Sadly no... I would have posted back if I did. Still hoping someone managed to do it and will post here, this shouldn't be that difficult.

Sakuru

Guru
My suggestion is to buy an unmanaged gigabit switch and connect it to the router. Trying to get FreeNAS to act as a router will be funky at best.

Scentle5S

Explorer
I don't see how a switch could help me. My NAS is in the same room as my laptop, and there's only one ethernet jack in the wall, to which the NAS is connected. So when I want to access my NAS with full ethernet speed from my laptop while staying in the same room, I plug it directly on the NAS. But I can't access the jails' plugins since they only seem to run on the router's subnet.

Maybe I don't understand your idea, so if you still think that a switch could solve this situation, could you elaborate please ?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You get a switch and plug that in to the LAN port on your router. Everything else plugs into the switch and automagically is able to communitcate with each other. A 5 port un managed gigabit switch can be had for around $20.

Scentle5S

Explorer
Oh my bad : didn't even occur to me to plug the switch in the NAS / laptop room, on the wall's ethernet jack. Sure that's a solution, but I was more looking for a software solution, to avoid extra hardware and costs. Even though I agree that 20$ isn't expensive, that's still an extra piece of hardware lying there that I won't use 80% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.