Moving files between folders is extremely slow through the VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbrunelli87

Explorer
Hi guys,
I successfully set-up a VPN tunnel from my laptop to my home network through OpenVPN and now I'm able to have access to my home network and my NAS.
Everything works just fine, except for the fact that moving files from a folder to another requires an unreasonable amount of time (so much that I was not able to move a 700mb file in several hours). I wonder if there is something I can do to solve the issue (Just to clarify: I don't have any issues moving files when I'm directly connected to my home network)

michael.keller

Dabbler
Hey,

it's a bit hard to say with so little information...

I am by all means no expert, but here are my thoughts:
I'd say it depends on your internet connection on both ends, how heavily your traffic is being encrypted and how powerful your openVPN server is...

For example I am running my openVPN server at home on my edge router lite with a Gigabit connection (up&down). At the office we have a shared 100/100 connection and it takes me around 10min to move 1GB of data...

mbrunelli87

Explorer
Hey,

it's a bit hard to say with so little information...

I am by all means no expert, but here are my thoughts:
I'd say it depends on your internet connection on both ends, how heavily your traffic is being encrypted and how powerful your openVPN server is...

For example I am running my openVPN server at home on my edge router lite with a Gigabit connection (up&down). At the office we have a shared 100/100 connection and it takes me around 10min to move 1GB of data...

Hi,
It surely does not depends on connection speed (both connections - home and the others that I've tried - are SUPER-FAST)
I dubt it's a matter of OpenVPN server Power (I use my Nighthawk R7500...is it ok?)
I suspect the issue is due to the encryption (i've read something about it on google without understending much) but I don't know how to change it in order to speed-up the process.

Let me know if you need more information

michael.keller

Dabbler
Hi

If it's not the internet connection itself and your local transfer speeds from/to your FreeNAS are normal, then I assume the problem is somewhere in your openVPN config - but that's just a guess on my part. Maybe have a look at the openVPN forum/faq/wiki, as you're probably not the first on having this kind of issue. Or maybe it more related to your router...it could be that something is not properly set up there as well (maybe some firewall rules, or some QoS settings). Routers like yours (and mine as well) are not really made for this kind of work, specially if your using some strong encryption...but you most certainly shouldn't have to wait several hours for such a transfer.

Sorry, if I am not a big help, I just thought I might give you some hints where the problem could be.

mbrunelli87

Explorer
Hi

If it's not the internet connection itself and your local transfer speeds from/to your FreeNAS are normal, then I assume the problem is somewhere in your openVPN config - but that's just a guess on my part. Maybe have a look at the openVPN forum/faq/wiki, as you're probably not the first on having this kind of issue. Or maybe it more related to your router...it could be that something is not properly set up there as well (maybe some firewall rules, or some QoS settings). Routers like yours (and mine as well) are not really made for this kind of work, specially if your using some strong encryption...but you most certainly shouldn't have to wait several hours for such a transfer.

Sorry, if I am not a big help, I just thought I might give you some hints where the problem could be.

Yes, my local transfer speed works just fine.
I think that the issue is due to OpenVPN config (I had a look on the router config and you don't have anything to set for the VPN apart from enabling the service), but I'm not an expert either so I don't know what to do. I'll try with OpenVPN Forums!

mbrunelli87

Explorer
I wonder if using a plugin such as filezilla (or similar) could do the trick for moving the files...

mbrunelli87

Explorer
I noticed a strange thing..if I download a file from the server on my laptop (when I'm connected via VPN) and then upload it back again, the transfer is fast. This does the trick for now, but I wonder if there's a better solution for doing such an thing as moving files between server's folders :)

Status
Not open for further replies.