Moving data and jails

damaddbomma

Dabbler
Ok...to start with, I recently changed motherboards (to a SuperBoard with Xeon X3) which is going to allow me to increase both the number of drives and the capacity of my system. I am going to be installing a SAS HBA board to drive the four 3TB hard drives I am going to install in two mirrored VDEVs. I currently have two 1TB hard drives (not mirrored so about 2TB of storage) in the system.

It took me quite a while to get the jails and storage the way I like it and would like to move all the data and jails over to the new pool and then disconnect the old pool. Can someone give me an easy way to do this without having to recreate the jails? The jails currently contain Transmission and Emby.

Thanks!

Last time i used rsync to move all the data to a new array which worked acceptably still required so tweaking of the datasets afterward since they only registered as folders not datasets. I'm sure i saw someone post on here that you can add an addition drive to a single drive to make a mirrored pair (or more if you wanted) which is how i'd approach your case. I have never done it though, I believe it would be as simple as
1.make sure autoexpand is on
2.In command line add 3TB to first 1TB as a mirror
3.In command line add 3TB to second 1TB as a mirror
4.wait for resilver
5.in GUI replace 1TB's with the remaining unused 3TB's
6.wait for resilver then remove old 1TB's

In theory once that process completes the addition space should be available for use.

You would not remove the 1TB's until all 4 3TB have been resilvered into the pool, assuming you have enough available connection for 6 drives

damaddbomma

Dabbler
Sorry for all the questions, but I am new to modifying the system.

1) What command in command line do I use to make the first set of 3TBs mirrors to the 1TBs?
2) Where do I watch to see if resilver is completed?
3) I am assuming that the second pair of 3TBs that will be mirrors to the first pair will be done in the Pools screen. Is that correct?