Move single drive data to new Pool

oumpa31

Patron
When i Set up my system I did a dumb thing and i put my Plugins on an older 128 ssd single drive pool. After using this system for about a year I am finally starting to see the need to run a few VM's and realizing that this single drive isn't going to big enough to run a Ubuntu and Windows vm along with all of my plugins. I want to install 2 500 gig ssd's in a "raid 1" that way i have redundancy just in case.

Is there a way to migrate all of the data and the plugin's to that new pool without having to redownload the plug ins. I have a massive Plex library and it takes hours for it to get all of the metadata for everything. And setting up the ubuntu vm will also take lots of time.

saikee

Explorer
I haven't tried it myself but this would be my approach after copying a 16Tib pool and rebuilding the Plex libraries manually half a dozen times myself.

Let's say your existing pool is called single-drive and the new pool is multi-drive.
You can copy the entire content of single-drive to the multi-drive.
You then export/detach both pools and power down.
You the disconnect physically the single-pool (pull off the power and signal connectors)
Reboot the FreeNAS which has no pool.
Import the multi-pool in CLI by a new name single-drive. (11.2 version graphic interface allows import but using the old name)

I know the raw data can be copied easily, as I have done it many times, but I haven't copied the jails (the plugin part) myself this way yet so can't guarantee the method is viable.

oumpa31

Patron
I haven't tried it myself but this would be my approach after copying a 16Tib pool and rebuilding the Plex libraries manually half a dozen times myself.

Let's say your existing pool is called single-drive and the new pool is multi-drive.
You can copy the entire content of single-drive to the multi-drive.
You then export/detach both pools and power down.
You the disconnect physically the single-pool (pull off the power and signal connectors)
Reboot the FreeNAS which has no pool.
Import the multi-pool in CLI by a new name single-drive. (11.2 version graphic interface allows import but using the old name)

I know the raw data can be copied easily, as I have done it many times, but I haven't copied the jails (the plugin part) myself this way yet so can't guarantee the method is viable.

I will keep looking into this but this might be my best shot.