MotionEye rc.d startup script (working manually but not on startup)

potatosword

Dabbler
So the rundown is that I've successfully installed MotionEye in an iocage running 11.2 but I can't get my startup script to work. I more or less followed this to get everything installed. This command must be issued in order to start the service:

meyectl startserver -b -c /etc/motioneye/motioneye.conf

I've created an rc.d script and chmod 755. The script runs manually via sh() just fine but does not seem to run at startup - which of course means something is going wrong with that process. I've placed copies of the script in both /etc/rc.d/ and /usr/local/etc/rc.d/.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

.   /etc/rc.subr

name=motioneye
rcvar=motioneye_enable
start_cmd="${name}_start"
stop_cmd=":"

load_rc_config $name

motioneye_start(){
    meyectl startserver -b -c /etc/motioneye/motioneye.conf
}

run_rc_command "$1" 

annoyingly, service -e gives me this output:

Code:
/etc/rc.d/cleanvar
/etc/rc.d/netif
/etc/rc.d/newsyslog
/etc/rc.d/syslogd
/etc/rc.d/virecover
/etc/rc.d/motd
/etc/rc.d/cron
/etc/rc.d/motioneye

I wish I had more verbose output from the jail as to what is going on. I'm sure I'm missing something trivial.

Last edited:

potatosword

Dabbler
I forgot to mention it but I've also ran sysrc motioneye_enable=YES which didn't do the trick. Is it possible rc.d scripts are running before python has started? (meyectl is a python script)

Last edited:

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
I don't know much about scripting but I got a service to start at jail startup in one of my jails by making a crontab entry in the jail you want the service to start. You use the command @Reboot and then add the path to your script so it would look something like:

Code:
@reboot /bin/sh /path/to/script

potatosword

Dabbler
I was curious about this approach so I tried it out but it didn't work for me. Below is what I entered into crontab -e - and yes I realize /bin/sh is pretty redundantly called out.

Code:
SHELL=/bin/sh
PATH=/etc:/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
# Order of crontab fields
# minute hour mday month wday command

@reboot /bin/sh /etc/rc.d/motioneye

Curiously if I try to do service motioneye start I get eval: meyectl: not found which is really my first indication that it's not able to find the meyectl python script. Maybe I need to point to the exact path of meyectl?

Edit: pointed to the exact path of meyectl and now get this error instead (at least I'm making progress now and have error messages to work from!)

Code:
usage: meyectl startserver [-c CONFIG_FILE] [-d] [-h] [-l] [-v] [-b] meyectl startserver: error: argument -c: expected one argument eval: /etc/motioneye/motioneye.conf: Permission denied 

My guess is I need to chmod motioneye.conf.

Last edited:
The difference is the PATH. Best practice is to specify the full path in the rc.d script, instead of just meyectl do /full/path/to/meyectl.
You may also need to add a proper path in the motioneye_start command.

potatosword

Dabbler
Yeah I just updated this with the full path in motioneye_start() and ran chmod 755 on motioneye.conf. This is now the output:

Here is a copy of /etc/motioneye/motioneye.conf

It appears I had a typo in the startup script (nano added a space) that confused the -c argument. I'm now able to get it to start up automatically (and through service motioneye start) but once inside motioneye nothing really works. To troubleshoot this I tried echoing $USER out during the script. When I start via service montioneye start I get what appears to be NULL, and when I do a manual run of the script I get root. I presume I need some sort of daemon in the startup script?

Last edited:

potatosword

Dabbler
Alright everything is working smoothly now. This is now the script in /etc/rc.d

Code:
#!/bin/sh

.   /etc/rc.subr

name=motioneye
rcvar=motioneye_enable
start_cmd="${name}_start"
stop_cmd="${name}_stop"

load_rc_config $name

motioneye_start(){
    daemon -u root /usr/local/bin/meyectl startserver -b -c /etc/motioneye/motioneye.conf
}

motioneye_stop(){
    daemon -u root /usr/local/bin/meyectl stopserver -b -c /etc/motioneye/motioneye.conf
}

run_rc_command "$1"