Motherboard lights up, fans churn, then silence. First time build

Aion_Animus

Cadet
So the core of my issue is that im not getting any display on my monitor, no bios, nothing. When i turn my power supply on the motherboard lights up, all the fans in the system fire up and then go quiet. My motherboards lights stay on, changing colors looking pretty but thats about it. I cant even use the buttons on the motherboard to shut it off or reset it, the only way i can do that is through the power supply. Ive downloaded the bios for my mobo onto a flash drive but i have a sneaky suspicion its not going to just install itself, and im clueless. This is what ive got installed:
MOBO: Asus prime x299 deluxe ii
CPU: Intel i7-7800x
RAM: 2 16gb g.skill ripjawV ddr4-3200
GPU: EVGA Geforce gtx 1050ti
PSU: EVGA 850w
HDD: Seagate barracuda 4tb
Nh-d15 d-type cooler
The heatsink i havent bothered installing until the system as a whole is functional.

As far as i can tell all connections are sound plugged in where they should be. Ive tried removing the battery on the motherboard and putting it back in. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Alecmascot

Guru
My motherboards lights stay on, changing colors looking pretty but thats about it.
Probably sending you a message......check the MB manual or go to the asus website.

Aion_Animus

Cadet
Probably sending you a message......check the MB manual or go to the asus website.
The colors arent changing in any sequence, theyre just doing their led rainbow gradient. I apologize if im inept and theres something simple im missing.

Attachments

• 1573657015564341261297.jpg
    1573657015564341261297.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 216

Aion_Animus

Cadet
Update: ive gotten it to light upjust orange, for a little bit it wouldnt even test the fans, i pressed the on board power button, the q-code did some random shit and now displays 53, the fans run steady without stopping but still no display on my monitor

Alecmascot

Guru

Aion_Animus

Cadet
Maybe it did not find a cpu fan ?
Yeah i noticed my cpu getting hot as well so im going to install a heatsink before i go any further, the only problem is the back plate for the one i have is too small for my mobo so ive gotta go trade it in, get a new one

pschatz100

Guru
As far as i can tell all connections are sound plugged in where they should be. I've tried removing the battery on the motherboard and putting it back in. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated
Check the motherboard manual for clearing/resetting the bios. Just removing the battery is usually not sufficient. There is often another step involved, such as temporarily changing a jumper setting or shorting a couple of contacts.

ThreeDee

Guru
wait a minute .. you are trying to turn on your setup without a heatsink on the CPU? Did something change in "PC Builing 101" that I am not aware of?

Last edited:

Apollo

Wizard
Not a good thing indeed. CPU might be fried, possibly. Not sure if on-die temperature management could kick in to safeguard against such beating.
Never do anything like this on the 13th, it brings bad luck.