Missing disk descriptions, 11.3-u4.1

Chuck Smith

Cadet
Yesterday, I upgraded to 11.3-u4.1, and then noticed, in the UI > Storage > Disks, that the descriptions of about half of my disks were missing.

Is there a command, outside of the UI, that will display the disk descriptions? I have tried smartctl and diskinfo, but do not see what I am looking for.

Where is this data stored?

Thank you,
Chuck

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
The disk descriptions are generated from smartctl -i. If the SMART service is running, then check the disks are enabled for SMART. Finally, you may need to update the SMART drive database via update-smart-drivedb --trunk --no-verify.

Chuck Smith

Cadet
smartctl -i is not showing the description I am looking for.Smart was running. All drives are smart enabled. I did update drivedb, per your suggestion. However, the descriptions are still missing for some drives. To be sure I am clear, the attached file shows the missing descriptions I am talking about.
IMG_5555.JPG

Anyone know where these descriptions are stored?

Samuel Tai

Oh, the descriptions. Those are stored in the FreeNAS DB, and are manually editable per disk. Expand the > on the right per disk, and you'll be able to edit the disk descriptions.

Chuck Smith

Cadet
Yes, I understand that. But, all of my disks had descriptions before the update. If I roll back the update, will I get my descriptions back?

Samuel Tai

What version did you upgrade from?

Chuck Smith

Cadet
I am thinking about booting the previous release, then capturing the missing descriptions, before returning to u4?

What do you think?

Samuel Tai

Sounds like a plan, and a possible bug in the updater.

Chuck Smith

Cadet
Yeah! Re-activating U3, I can see, and record, all of my disk descriptions. Now, I have re-activated U4, and will re-enter them. As you said, probably an updater feature.