Minecraft Bedrock server on FreeNAS

kenharman

Cadet
I apologize for my ignorance. I actually worked with UNIX (and CPM) systems about 35 years ago. I can say, it's not quite like riding a bike, but I do remember snippets of things as I'm starting my journey into Linux. I'm enjoying this path of discovery immensely, but I'm afraid having a job with long hours and a wife and daughters that demand my time mean I just need to find out how to get things done. Syncthing had me pulling my hair out, by the way. If I ever retire, I'd like to make step-by-step tutorials for others who just need to make things work. Anyway, sorry for the introduction paragraph.

I've searched the forums and Google in an attempt to get my questions answered, with no luck. I am attempting to run a Minecraft Bedrock server (not the JAVA version included in the plugin) on my FreeNAS server. I have attempted to install it in a jail, but can not figure out how to get this to work (if it's even possible). The other option I am considering is a VM running Ubuntu. I just don't know enough about all the pieces yet to make it work.

I'm also open to suggestions for the best learning material, whether online resource or books, to get up to speed as quickly as possible.

Thank you

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

That looks like you need a VM running Ubuntu ...

It's also possible to connect Minecraft Bedrock clients to a Minecraft Java-edition server, using DragonProxy.
There's a post on how to do this using MineOS below. This works for both the MineOS plugin or standard jail.

KevDog

Patron
Hmm I trying to create a Minecraft server that works for Paper. I'm guessing this method isn't exactly useful. I'd really to be truthful like to run the image as a docker image since it just makes updating so much easier.

Minecraft Bedrock is different from the Java editions. The MineOS plugin supports alternate profiles such as PaperMC.

For easier, docker-like updates, separate the application from the data. In this case you could store your minecraft server data on your main pool and mount into /var/games/minecraft.