Media Asset Management Software

Hi All,

I was wondering if any FreeNAS users out there worked with Video Editors and used any Media Asset Management software while keeping data on their FreeNAS.

We have a lot of video editors using FreeNAS as SMB file shares and its working great but they have been talking about Digital Asset Management DAM or Media Asset Management MAM to better catalog digital assets and tag them with appropriate metadata and all that good stuff that comes with digital asset management.

It appears that trying to find a vendor is a bit of a minefield as they often want you to put your data in the cloud otherwise it's a no go. Also, lots only support photo content and not really video which is exactly what we need.

I would appreciate any feedback and if anyone has any experience in this area in particular in video assets with on-premise storage.

Thanks

When was the archive guy for a major market newspaper, we evaluated a bazillion products over two years and found MerlineOne to be the best option for us. That was years ago so I'm not sure what the marketplace for asset management looks like today. Still, I'd start with them since they still seem to be one of the top players in the market.

Back in the day, they were incredibly responsive and it wasn't too difficult to access their developers. Performance was exceptionally good on the mid-level hardware we were using. At the time, they were hardware agnostic and just gave us recommendations based on what we said we wanted in terms of storage, concurrency and search times. Like I said, it has been years, but, if they haven't greatly changed their architecture, they'd pair really well with FreeNAS as a storage backend.

Cheers,
Matt