Making my new FreeNAS quiet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Itamar Croitoru

Dabbler
Hi,

My full time work has gifted me a 3U rackmount server that they were going to otherwise throw out and I am looking to make it into a FreeNAS for larger but slower storage. I've already got one running an array of 15,000 RPM drives in mirrors so that's my high-speed iSCSI and this I want to make into my larger lower speed iSCSI as it is full of 7,200 RPM SATA drives.

The company is getting rid of the server for reasons, and I decided it would be best to review it and make any changes now before putting into testing phase for myself. Since this server is going into my rack at home, I am looking for noise as a factor and that seems to be where I am stuck now and what I am asking for help with.

The rest of my rack contains a Dell R710, Dell R310, Compelent Storage array, HP DL360 G7, two switches, 6 other (home grade) NASes and still turning on this server adds 25 DB measured using a cell phone from 1 meter away. As my home office desk isn't that far away from the rack, I'd like to see about improving the quietness of it.

I checked through the chassis over and over and even got another set of eyes and the chassis is missing any marking of the vendor or chassis model. This was a first big flag for me. I did notice it looks a lot like the 3U Chenbro RM31616:
http://www.chenbro.com/en-global/products/RackmountChassis/3U_Chassis/RM31616

The drive caddies look a bit different but that's about it. Inside is a Zippy r3g-6650p power supply which seems to be one of the biggest sources of noise so I'd like to know what would make a good replacement for this considering I want quiet function and enough power to run the server with maxes our RAM, 2 x internal drives for the OS and 16 x 3.5" SATA drives.

Other specs:
Motherboard: intel s5520hc (TDP 130W)
http://ark.intel.com/products/36599/Intel-Server-Board-S5520HC
CPUs: 2 x Intel Xeon E5520 (TDP 80W)
http://ark.intel.com/products/40200/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5520-8M-Cache-2_26-GHz-5_86-GTs-Intel-QPI
RAM: 96 GB ECC ( 8GBV x 12 sticks) ( 3W / stick) 36W
18 Drives: (I was assuming 10W per drive) 180W
Each CPU socket also has a fan and there are two 120mm fans cooling the drives.

I've already roughly reached 600W so this 650W power supply also doesn't cut the usage requirement (likely why it was causing a drive to fail about once a month) for the previous owners.

If anyone could recommend a replacement power supply, that would be helpful as I don't see much in the way of reports on loudness or specifically what kind of PSU would replace this Zippy model and fit the case still.

As I am also concerned about the PSU fitting, I'm happy to take a picture if that helps but for the life of me I cannot find a model or maker for the case labelled anywhere.

I could also use suggestions for replacements fans that are quiet. The original two chassis fans are:
T&T 1238H12B-MF1
Sorry, I was not able to find these but they appear to by typical 120mm x 120mm x 40mm, just with an adapter to connect to a chassis' power distribution board. I should be able to bring that adapter over myself.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Itamar Croitoru

Dabbler
I ended up replacing it with a Dell C2100 instead. I'll probably turn this into something else by splitting the motherboard with CPU and RAM into something else and throw out the chassis.

Status
Not open for further replies.