Mac Finder doesn't update FreeNAS SMB directory contents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luke Jaeger

Dabbler
I'm running FreeNAS-9.10.1 (d989edd) as a fileserver for a computer lab. Lab clients are all Macs running OS 10.11.6, connecting via SMB.

I put a little bash script in the "skel" folder that retrieves each user's archived files from last year, via rsync (archived files are stored elsewhere on the FreeNAS). It's not automatic, users can run it if they want to. A couple of users have reported that when they run this script, the folder of retrieved files doesn't show up in the Finder. But if they list the directory thru Terminal, it's there.

Eventually I guess the folder shows up, but it seems the Finder is sometimes very slow to update directory listings when changes are made thru command line. Other times it seems to work just as expected, so I'm not sure what's going on.

I'm not seeing the kind of all-around slowness in Finder window listings that would point to a general problem with SMB.

Anyone seen something like this?

Valdhor

Explorer
Yes, I see it too. It just seems to take the finder a little time to catch up. It does seem faster with AFP than SMB/CIFS shares I've noticed.

I just close the folder and wait a few minutes.

Nick2253

Wizard
The problem isn't Finder, it's Samba. Samba makes a cache of the contents of the directories. There's an option flag to change this behavior, but there are performance implications of doing this.

Valdhor

Explorer
The problem isn't Finder, it's Samba. Samba makes a cache of the contents of the directories. There's an option flag to change this behavior, but there are performance implications of doing this.

What exactly are the performance implications? I may not care. And where do you change this option flag?

Valdhor

Explorer
OK, RTFM reveals the csc policy (Client Side Caching) parameter in the smb.conf file. Is that it? Or is it the getwd cache? Or something completely different?

Nick2253

Wizard

SFoskett

Dabbler
Yup, I noticed and posted pretty much the same thing. Post here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/kernel-change-notify-yes.45379/

Summary: I've been running Samba with "kernel change notify = yes" for about a week now and it's like buttered lightning in terms of filesystem updates. But folks keep warning me it might cause instability. So I'm nervous about leaving it on.

Status
Not open for further replies.