Mac clients connecting to FreeNAS - Which dataset share type

overshoot

Explorer
Hi,

I am quite new to FreeNAS so apologize if that question has already been answered but I couldn't find anything related to it.
I have a network of 80% Mac clients and 20% Windows clients and I am wondering which "share type" option I should use.

I am sharing using Samba protocol only, knowing AFP will be gone soon. AFP is therefore Off.
I am using at the moment Windows share type.
I am guessing "Mac" share type is for AFP protocol but I might be wrong.

Thanks for your help.

overshoot

Explorer
The main reason for me asking this is that other users can access shares which they should be able to see.
They only get read access but still they can open files in the share.

I want to be able to mask the share completely if the user is not part of the group which is the owner of the shared folder.
I guess "Unix" might be a better idea, am I right?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Apple changed the default/preferred network sharing protocol to SMB some years back, so you're already on the right track.

You may want to look at the parameters you can set for those shares to make it more friendly to apple devices. Have a look here: https://www.ixsystems.com/community...ions-configurations-for-mac-os-x-users.43982/

There's a great link in @anodos post at the end that will help with any permissions problems you are likely to have.

overshoot

Explorer
Thanks for your answer.

In this post there are talking about version 9 of Freenas so unsure if there are any difference in terms of configuration and if the plugins are already loaded by default or not.

Anyway what i’ve done so far is to continue using Windows share type and remove “everyone” permissions from each shared folder. Now the shares are visible but unacessable which is good enough. I’ve done that through a Windows 10 VM under freenas (bhyve).
Next on the list is to have Windows 10 running good enough to be used as a BimCloud Server but from what i’ve read, it is still in development so might not be a good idea for production use.

Thanks again for your help!

overshoot

Explorer
I've added those VFS objects to my shares. I'll test and report back if it doesn't work well.

I'll also read that guide from Anodos for tuning Samba permissions.

Thanks for the great help.

seanm

Guru
I am guessing "Mac" share type is for AFP protocol but I might be wrong.

That's exactly right. The nomenclature is now confusing since SMB is the default on macOS these days.

I want to be able to mask the share completely if the user is not part of the group which is the owner of the shared folder.

Turn on 'access based share enumeration' then use 'sharesec'. https://www.samba.org/samba/docs/current/man-html/sharesec.1.html

I guess "Unix" might be a better idea, am I right?

No.