MAC Address from Plex Jail

André Fettouhi

Contributor
I just updated Freenas server from 11.1-U6 to the new 11.2 version. Everything went smoothly and I saw in the release notes that the new iocage jails are default now. So I decided to redo my Plex jail. One thing that confuses me about the new interface is where do I find the MAC address for my plex jail? I am running the jail via DHCP because my router functions as my DHCP server. I have read that you should turn on VNET in the plex jail so that it gets a network stack but under vnet_mac I see two MAC addresses. Which one do I put into my router?

danb35

Hall of Famer
I am running the jail via DHCP because my router functions as my DHCP server.
Don't; assign it a static IP instead. Just because you have a DHCP server doesn't mean every device on your network has to use it.

patrick sullivan

Contributor
Yes...I too am looking for this..

fracai

Guru
(working from memory) I think you should be able to do:
Code:
iocage get vnet0_mac plex_jail_name

(again working from memory) I think it's the second address that you would supply to your DHCP server.

LimeCrusher

Explorer
Don't; assign it a static IP instead. Just because you have a DHCP server doesn't mean every device on your network has to use it.
The only requirement is that the IP should be within the local subnet and outside of the DHCP server range right?
I am actually trying yo do that with my jails through the UI but I have failed so far. Any FreeNAS-specific resource I could study to sort this out?

The only requirement is that the IP should be within the local subnet and outside of the DHCP server range right?
I am actually trying yo do that with my jails through the UI but I have failed so far. Any FreeNAS-specific resource I could study to sort this out?
Details here https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.2/jails.html#managing-jails
Basically, stop the jail, edit its properties, make sure you uncheck DHCP Autoconfigure and you should then be good to go.

LimeCrusher

Explorer
Details here https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/11.2/jails.html#managing-jails
Basically, stop the jail, edit its properties, make sure you uncheck DHCP Autoconfigure and you should then be good to go.
I certainly tried this but I have been unfortunate so far. That thread describes my problem and the author has confirmed me it sorted it out via MP. I will follow his procedure.

EDIT: Note to stupid self, it's the default gateway you need to fill or it can't work!

Last edited: