LSI sas on IT mode and hot swap

panman

Dabbler
Hi
I use an 9207-8 in IT mode. Are the discs hot swapable in these cards? Thanks in advance.

panman

Dabbler
I am asking since they can’t work on achi mode. At least that’s what I heard.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Hot swap isn't as much the card as it is the backplane.

The card can handle it if your backplane can.

panman

Dabbler
Thanks f'or your answer. I think if you want hot swap you have to put achi mode on bios. They told me that sli sas cards don't work on achi mode. Or they do?

panman

Dabbler
I have a gigabyte z270p-d3on system one and a gigabyte aorus ultra z390 second. I bought two sata power switches for some discs i won't use often and i was wondering if i can turn hdds on and off. The sata power switch is this
Kingwin Hard Drive Power Switch Module

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I'm pretty sure you don't need to get concerned about it and hot-plug will probably work.

I'm a little more concerned about your plan to just power off your drives... (I hope detaching your pool first is part of that plan)

You might just be better looking into the spinpid scripts from @Glorious1 to spin down the drives (sleep mode), which would allow you to keep the pool on the system and not spin the drives when they aren't used.

panman

Dabbler
Do i have to detach pool for hot swap? I thought that was the point of hot swap, no to have to do so. What is exactly your concern? Is there danger for hdd health? Thanks again for your help.

Glorious1

Guru
You might just be better looking into the spinpid scripts from @Glorious1 to spin down the drives (sleep mode), which would allow you to keep the pool on the system and not spin the drives when they aren't used.
Those scripts will tell you whether or not the drives are spinning, but they don't spin them down. Someone else has been working on a script that does that (have to search).

zedfive

Cadet
My concern is, assumed the drive is not in a pool, is it electrically safe to just pull it out or in ? For example are the drivers on both ends of the SATA connection protected if signal comes before power during plugging?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
From a safety point of view, you need a backplane that is designed for hotswap, which means that there should be some capacitors for each drive to help reduce the brownout caused by plugging in a device. The connectors themselves are designed for it unless you happen upon the cheapest Asian imports.

The other thing is that the chipset and drivers must support it.