Lost USB 3.0 Support after 9.1.1 update

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhs-admin

Cadet
After (GUI) update from version 8.3.1 to 9.1.1 the USB3 PCI adapter isn't seen any more. So I lost two external disks :-(

I tried with and without xhci_load tunable set as USB3 support is active by default.
Controller is known:

Sep 9 09:08:52 hhs-nas kernel: xhci0: <XHCI (generic) USB 3.0 controller> mem 0xd8b00000-0xd8b01fff irq 18 at device 0.0 on pci32
Sep 9 09:08:52 hhs-nas kernel: xhci0: 64 byte context size.
Sep 9 09:08:52 hhs-nas kernel: usbus0 on xhci0

but no disk is found on usbus0 where two USB3.0 disks are connected.

An error occured with istgt:
Sep 9 09:08:53 hhs-nas istgt[1755]: istgt version 0.5 (20121028)

Sep 9 09:08:53 hhs-nas istgt[1755]: normal mode
Sep 9 09:08:53 hhs-nas istgt[1755]: using kqueue
Sep 9 09:08:53 hhs-nas istgt[1755]: using host atomic
Sep 9 09:08:53 hhs-nas istgt[1755]: istgt_lu_disk.c: 642:istgt_lu_disk_init: ***ERROR*** LU1: LUN0: open error(errno=2)
Sep 9 09:08:53 hhs-nas istgt[1755]: istgt_lu.c:2091:istgt_lu_init_unit: ***ERROR*** LU1: lu_disk_init() failed
Sep 9 09:08:53 hhs-nas istgt[1755]: istgt_lu.c:2166:istgt_lu_init: ***ERROR*** LU1: lu_init_unit() failed
Sep 9 09:08:53 hhs-nas istgt[1755]: istgt.c:2799:main: ***ERROR*** istgt_lu_init() failed
Sep 9 09:08:53 hhs-nas root: /etc/rc: WARNING: failed to start istgt

Reason maybe that the two disks are served via iSCSI.

Howto get back my two disks?

hhs-admin

Cadet
Update

After hard reboot (power off / on) all three disks can be seen in usbconfig:

[root@hhs-nas] ~# usbconfig
ugen0.1: <XHCI root HUB 0x1912> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=SUPER (5.0Gbps) pwr=SAVE (0mA)
ugen0.2: <External USB 3.0 Intenso> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=SUPER (5.0Gbps) pwr=ON (2mA)
ugen6.3: <External USB 3.0 Intenso> at usbus6, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON (8mA)
ugen0.3: <External USB 3.0 Intenso> at usbus0, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=SUPER (5.0Gbps) pwr=ON (2mA)
but only two are available via GUI and these both can not be handled (error: size can not be determined)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I will tell you one thing, you shouldn't be using USB drives for FreeNAS except on a very temporary basis. Why? Because USB drives have no SMART reporting, no SMART diagnostics, and have no "error" correction when there's a problem; they just disconnect themselves from the host(which is VERY bad). It's been a recurring problem and I wish people would stop trying to go "ghetto" with their servers and somehow think that USB is safe and dependable.

Other than that, my only advice is to go back to 8.3 and stick with that until you can spend money on hardware that is internal. I mean, have you ever seen a business go "ghetto" with external USB drives on a server? I haven't.

hhs-admin

Cadet
I will tell you one thing, you shouldn't be using USB drives for FreeNAS except on a very temporary basis. ... I wish people would stop trying to go "ghetto" with their servers and somehow think that USB is safe and dependable.

Thanks for your advise. I hope my configuration backup will give me back the drives!
  • What I don't understand is why 9.1 will not show the drives at all :-(. Isn't there a way to get them back at least via command line? Usbconfig is showing them.
  • If I dismount the external drives from their USB-enclosure and connect them directly to the internal storage controller ... would it be possible to import them (UFS)?
By the way using external drives: The plan was to have a set of three external drives only one connected at a time the others with "good backup" stored in a separate room. I. e. like tape backup routines in good old times.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
What I don't understand is why 9.1 will not show the drives at all :-(. Isn't there a way to get them back at least via command line? Usbconfig is showing them.

Me neither. But it could be that the 8.x drivers were never upgraded to 9.x. It's kind of like going from XP to Vista. Some stuff works when you upgrade, some doesn't.

If I dismount the external drives from their USB-enclosure and connect them directly to the internal storage controller ... would it be possible to import them (UFS)?

No way to know. I've had plenty of disks that would not work outside of their enclosure, which kind of flies in the face of how the stuff works. But other friends have had no problem pulling drives from their enclosures.

As for backups, those backups might work great, up until you need them. Like I said before, a single sector can cause a disk to be dropped from the host. So imagine how much it will suck if you start doing a recovery and the drive starts dropping. Especially with UFS you'll be having to do a fsck to remount the drive. And then you get to run the risk that there's a bad sector that the fsck will run into, causing the host to drop the drive again, and you end up with a hard drive that has all your data locked away and you can't access it. Sound sucky doesn't it? That's actually happened to someone here.

Status
Not open for further replies.