Looking for some guidance on using Samba and NFS on the same dataset

sethgoldin

Dabbler
I have a handful of different Mac and Windows clients. Those work OK with Windows-style permissions--ACLs, etc., but I'm looking to also add in some CentOS Linux workstations for the same datasets.

I've been having pretty strange problems on the Linux side with rendering video out of DaVinci Resolve--though Linux is about 33% faster, it just keeps dropping out, seemingly randomly. I tried just using "cifs" and "vers=3.0" on the client fstabs, but because of the dropouts, I figured I'd try NFS. This didn't improve the dropouts. This is happening on different Linux workstations with different brands of 10 GbE NIC.

I'm not sure if this is being caused by choosing either Windows or UNIX permissions for the datasets while sharing is enabled for both, or if there's some underlying issue with the CentOS clients, etc.

Rendering from DaVinci Resolve on Windows via SMB3 is stable, but slower. This is why I'm interested in making the Linux workstations viable if possible.

This is a big, complicated problem, with lots of possible culprits, so I'm interested in any guidance folks can offer. Thanks in advance.

Have you done a test with FreeNAS out of the loop?

Create an NFS share on one of your Linux hosts. On another Linux host, mount that share then render a project. If you see the same problems as with the FreeNAS, you can eliminate FreeNAS as the cause.

Cheers,
Matt

skyyxy

Contributor
I have a handful of different Mac and Windows clients. Those work OK with Windows-style permissions--ACLs, etc., but I'm looking to also add in some CentOS Linux workstations for the same datasets.

I've been having pretty strange problems on the Linux side with rendering video out of DaVinci Resolve--though Linux is about 33% faster, it just keeps dropping out, seemingly randomly. I tried just using "cifs" and "vers=3.0" on the client fstabs, but because of the dropouts, I figured I'd try NFS. This didn't improve the dropouts. This is happening on different Linux workstations with different brands of 10 GbE NIC.

I'm not sure if this is being caused by choosing either Windows or UNIX permissions for the datasets while sharing is enabled for both, or if there's some underlying issue with the CentOS clients, etc.

Rendering from DaVinci Resolve on Windows via SMB3 is stable, but slower. This is why I'm interested in making the Linux workstations viable if possible.

This is a big, complicated problem, with lots of possible culprits, so I'm interested in any guidance folks can offer. Thanks in advance.
Hi sethgoldin, I have a small question. How you can connect the smb folder in Davinci resolve Linux version? Because I also using Linux version and cant import the media clip, not smb share disk icon in the menu. By the way: the linux is really much faster than windows, even faster than mac version and has more GPUs support. Thanks a lot.

sethgoldin

Dabbler
Hi sethgoldin, I have a small question. How you can connect the smb folder in Davinci resolve Linux version? Because I also using Linux version and can't import the media clip, not smb share disk icon in the menu. By the way: the linux is really much faster than windows, even faster than mac version and has more GPUs support. Thanks a lot.

By the way, for any folks who find this thread in the future: turns out that the dropouts had nothing to do with FreeNAS or CentOS--it was just some sort of internal GPU bug with Resolve, that Blackmagic Design eventually fixed. I hammered this out over on Lift Gamma Gain: https://liftgammagain.com/forum/ind...e-waiting-on-frame-______-render-error.11284/

As for your question, skyyxy, in the process of banging my head against the wall troubleshooting that problem, I stopped using SMB3 on CentOS. I talked to a CentOS consultant who was shocked that I could even get any good performance for video over SMB3 at all. This is beyond my level of understanding, but it seems that NFS is more mature and somehow more deeply integrated with the Linux kernel.

So to connect FreeNAS datasets on CentOS, I actually use NFSv4.

There's no GUI for this though, on the CentOS side, as far as I know. For each NFS share, you have to modify /etc/fstab and then use the mount command or reboot. Are you familiar with how to do that?