Looking for a HBA substitute to LSI cards (currently has issues with ST10000NM0016 drives).

SamM

Dabbler
Is anything known about how well an Adaptec CC 2293700-R HBA 1100-8i8e performs with FreeNAS, or even a pair of these tied to the same SAS internal back-plane (of an HP DL380e G8 LFF) and/or D2600 disk enclosure?

Long story short: I have the stability issue that 10Tb Seagate drives have with LSI HBA's on FreeNAS newer than 9.1; and since replacing 24 drives is effectively not an option, I'm considering replacing the HBA before going to something really drastic like reverting to FreeNAS 9.1.

blanchet

Guru
I do not know if Adaptec HBA 1100 works with FreeNAS, but I can tell you that it is not the model that comes with iXsystems FreeNAS certified servers.
  • iXsystems uses a SuperMicro X10SRH-CLN4F motherboard in their certified FreeNAS servers because it has an integrated Broadcom 3008 SAS controller that works very well with FreeBSD. I have such a server with 24 x 14 TB WD DC HC530 disks, and it works very well.
  • I have another Supermicro server with a Broadcom (LSI/Avago) SAS III HBA 9300-8i (Broadcom 3008 SAS controller again but on a PCIe card). I have 36 x 12 TB WD DC HC520 disks. It works very well.
I wonder if your issue may come from your HP SAS2 backplanes. With a Supermicro SAS3 backplane, like iXsystem does, the Broadcom HBA 9300 controller runs perfectly on FreeNAS 11.

SamM

Dabbler
I was thinking of upgrading my LSI 9217-4i4e fleet (2 per server, 2 servers) for the closest 9300, but according to the other thread, someone already tried and it doesn't solve the problem of timeouts and cache flush problems. The problem seems to be with the combination of FreeBSD's new LSI driver, and 8-12Tb drives (especially Seagate and sometimes WD). Some have mentioned going back to 9.1, another mention that using a non-FreeBSD software solved their problem, but I'm not liking either of those options.

Suggesting that the backplane might be to blame is something I have not considered.