Looking for a Backup Program like Synology Hyper Backup

Bob-PTi

Cadet
I have been running Synology Hyper Backup for a few years. I can backup a Shared Folder to other Share Folders "different disk" and to other Synology Server. I can also open them like a file system and get out a file I want. Does FreeNAS have something like this?

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
FreeNAS has quite a few options here. It's possible to setup rsync jobs to copy data between shares, use ZFS replication, or even other tools like syncthing to mirror data between multiple directories.

RegularJoe

Patron
Hyper backup on the Synology NASes is quite good from a GUI perspective. I like it a lot and I am going to investigate using Synology backup software for vCenter as it looks like the license is the appliance. Other than that there is very little if anything on the Synology I like. LOL

kiriak

Contributor
HyperBackup is the main reason I am still with Synology.

It ticks many boxes for an novice user like me

- easy GUI with many capabilities
- versioning and easy handling of the versions, easy navigation back to time and versions, easy handling/erasing etc
- capability to make multiple backups to USB HDDs beyond other NAS, cloud, local, rsync etc.
- optional encryption
- one can browse and restore from the encrypted backup with a GUI applicatiom on a Linux or Windows PC very easily

probably an experienced user could do all these with rsync or rsnapshot, but not every body can use these

A similar application would be a big plus for FreeNAS.
I'm experiementing with it in an old PC,
and as soon I'll be able to sort out some things like a robust backup to HDDs (that I keep in a separate place)
I'll have a proper FreeNAS system