Logitech Media Server for FreeNAS 9.2.1.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I used the guide that is at the beginning a number of months ago and it worked out just fine for me. You have the script posted, so you should be able to disassemble it, understand what it is doing, then do it yourself and fix anything that doesn't work now.

Levissy

Cadet
@cyberjock

"I used the guide that is at the beginning a number of months ago"

Please *exactly* tell us what the script which you work.

:( I fight a full day. :( And nothing results

FreeNAS 9.3!

Thank you

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The installme.sh that is posted in post #1...

Pandora

Dabbler
Pandora's guide should *NOT* be followed. He used pkg_add, which is part of the old (discontinued as of last August) pkg system. He (and you) should be using pkg-ng instead.
Thanks for the info! Didn't knew that. Will use pkg-ng from now on.

@Levissy Why do you "pkg info p5-Image-Scale"? You won't find it that way!

How do you step into root/.cpan/build/? Are you useing FileZilla?
It's important that you do not close the cpan command line! Just leave it open in the background. I just tried it and it did work... hm...

Wahren

Cadet
I see many have problem with the install of LMS on the new 9.3, I am one of them as well..
I am wondering if someone ever thought of creating a LMS plug-in to easily install it (have no idea of how hard it would be though) I believe it would be very easy fore every one else to install it later on..
A second alternative is to maybe update the installme.sh script or even ad an extra so those still running 9.2 can install using the old installme.sh and the others can run a newer script for the 9.3?

evilandy

Dabbler
If anyone is interested in using MySQL as the server instead of SQLITE (I cannot guarantee how this will work but I've tested out basic functionality so far - use at your own risk):

# Enter your jail

jls

jexec 1 tcsh

#Install MySQL Server

pkg install mysql51-server

# enable mysql in rc.conf

ee /etc/rc.conf

#Type in

mysql_enable="YES"

# Start MySQL

service mysql-server start

# Update password for root

mysql -u root -p

(Enter - no password set as of yet)

UPDATE mysql.user SET Password=PASSWORD('password') WHERE User='root';
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

CREATE DATABASE slimserver;
GRANT ALL ON slimserver.* to slimserver IDENTIFIED BY 'slimserver_password';
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
Exit

#Turn off LMS

sh /usr/local/etc/rc.d/lms onestop

#Edit preferences file

ee /usr/local/lms/prefs/server.prefs

# Add in:

dbpassword: slimserver_password
dbsource: dbi:mysql:hostname=127.0.0.1;port=3306;database=slimserver
dbtype: mysql
dbusername: slimserver

#Install DBD/mysql.pm

pkg install p5-DBD-mysql

#Configure SlimServer so that it only starts after your MySQL instance has been started.

ee /usr/local/etc/rc.d/lms

#Add mysql to the end of require in the rc.s/lms file e.g.

# REQUIRE: LOGIN mysql

# Start LMS server

sh /usr/local/etc/rc.d/lms onestart

I then installed and tested with

http://sourceforge.net/projects/softsqueeze/files/softsqueeze/softsqueeze-3.9b2/ for OS X and used the web interface to check functionality.

I then tested on my SqueezeBox radio.

Last edited:

evilandy

Dabbler
I tried out MySQL 5.5 and everything looks fine. I initially went for 5.1 due to following the MySQL Wiki.

pkg install mysql55-server

service mysql-server start

mysql_secure_installation

Last edited:

Jollybully

Cadet
I've been pulling my hair out all weekend over getting LMS to work. I was initially trying with a 9.2.1.2 install. I ended up upgrading to 9.3 and following the 9.3 guide too to no avail.

After following the OP and running the script I always end up with;

Code:
root@squeeze:/ # service lms onestart
Starting lms.
/usr/local/lms/slimserver.pl: not found
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/lms: WARNING: failed to start lms

I'm wondering if I've missed something obvious. Am I correct in thinking that the LMS package will be automatically fetched via the wget command, or do I need to add it manually?

Any help would be appreciated, I'm a bit of a noob but I've read every post on this that google spits out + all the posts on this forum yet still no luck, so any help would be super helpful.

Thanks!

glennpm

Cadet
Jollybully: I was following the instructions of post #76 today and encountered the same problem as you. It turns out that the latest 'pkg upgrade -f' installed perl 5.20.2 but didn't update the link in /usr/bin -- mine still pointed to /usr/local/bin/perl5.18.4, which no longer existed. I updated that link (to /usr/local/bin/perl5.20.2) and made it past the problem you're encountering.

I made it to the end of the instructions and the good news is that the scan seems to be working. The bad news is that I'm not getting album art. I'll be looking into that next.

Jollybully

Cadet
Hey GlennPM, thanks for getting back to me. I managed to modify the symlinks to point to the new perl file, however I encountered all sorts of errors throughout the steps outlined in #76.

The first error was after
Code:
4. pkg_add -r -v wget

I remedied this by using;
Code:
pkg install wget

Everything went along swimmingly until I got the following error;
Code:
p5-IO-Interface not found

Then, after restarting the jail and running "service lms onestop" I encountered the dreaded

Code:
lms does not exist in /etc/rc.d or the local startup

After running the buildme.sh script it failed with the error
Code:
gmake: *** No rule to make target '/tests/fate/vp8.mak'.  Stop.

I got to the end of the guide and still no joy, just the usual:

Code:
root@lms:~ # service lms start
lms does not exist in /etc/rc.d or the local startup
directories (/usr/local/etc/rc.d)

Anyway, I appreciate your help. I can't help but feel like the solution is staring me right in the face and that I'm doing something super wrong.

glennpm

Cadet
Jollybully: I'm not sure if this relates, but there's a big mistake that I made that stumped me for a while. I misinterpreted line 1a from post #76:

Code:
    1. Get the installme.sh from the first post here and edit it
        a. Look for "p5-Image-Scale" (around line 62) and remove it: the line should now say something like pkg install -y p5-DBI p5-EV p5-XML-Parser p5-HTML-Parser p5-JSON-XS p5-Digest-SHA1 p5-YAML-LibYAML p5-Sub-Name p5-Audio-Scan p5-DBD-SQLite p5-Class-XSAccessor p5-Template-Toolkit p5-IO-Interface sox

I first read that the intent was to delete the entire line where I now see that the intent is to only remove "p5-Image-Scale" from the line. Note the "p5-IO-Interface" is in this line so that made me think of it for your case.

Jollybully

Cadet
GlennPM - I managed to get it all successfully working - I had initially relinked the wrong folder (perl5) when it should have been the 'Perl' folder. There were a few points at which my install process deviated from the guide in post #76 but other than that, everything is now working flawlessly! Now to figure out how to compile the Shairplay for FreeBSD.

Thanks for the help, and good luck to anyone thinking on embarking on this setup!

Vincèn

Patron
Is there a way to get SlimServer working in FreeNAS 9.3 ? and if so how ?

Thanks

SmallGuy

Guru

Vincèn

Patron
In the spirit of potentially helping others as I was helped by this thread, I just thought I'd add my update explaining what I had to do with FreeNAS 9.3. Essentially I downloaded the script in comment #1 by djoole. I then had to patch the perl executable link as per #90 after the upgrades. Unfortunately then one of the CPAN modules was different XML-Parser-2.44 vs. XML-Parser-2.44 so I had to force a downgrade.

From memory:
Code:
mkdir /usr/local/tmp
cd /usr/local/tmp
curl http://djoole.free.fr/lms/installme.sh > installme.sh
# You either need to install wget with 'pkg wget' at this point or change installme.sh to use curl (I did the latter)
chmod +x installme.sh
./installme.sh
ln -s -f /usr/local/bin/perl5.20.2 /usr/bin/perl
ln -s -f /usr/local/bin/perl5.20.2 /usr/bin/perl5
cpan TODDR/XML-Parser-2.41.tar.gz

Get Amped

Cadet
I posted a detailed description of how I managed to get LMS 7.9 nightly working on FreeNAS 9.3 in a FreeBSD jail in the "9.3 How to build and install LMS 7.9 from scratch" thread.

enry

Dabbler
In the spirit of potentially helping others as I was helped by this thread, I just thought I'd add my update explaining what I had to do with FreeNAS 9.3. Essentially I downloaded the script in comment #1 by djoole. I then had to patch the perl executable link as per #90 after the upgrades. Unfortunately then one of the CPAN modules was different XML-Parser-2.44 vs. XML-Parser-2.44 so I had to force a downgrade.

From memory:
Code:
mkdir /usr/local/tmp
cd /usr/local/tmp
# You either need to install wget with 'pkg wget' at this point or change installme.sh to use curl (I did the latter)
chmod +x installme.sh
./installme.sh

I just upgraded from 9.3 to 9.10 and lms broke in the process. Doing the two ln commands and the cpan command and lms fired right up.

fireheadman

Dabbler
Andrew Williamson said:
From memory:
mkdir /usr/local/tmp
cd /usr/local/tmp
chmod +x installme.sh
./installme.sh

Followed this.... except had to mod the link cmd to use perl5.20.3

I just upgraded from 9.3 to 9.10 and lms broke in the process. Doing the two ln commands and the cpan command and lms fired right up.

Ended up getting this error on startup:
Code:
root@lms:/usr/local/tmp # sh /usr/local/etc/rc.d/lms onestart
Starting lms.
The following modules failed to load: DBI EV XML::parser::Expat HTML::parser JSON::XS Digest::SHA1 YAML::XS Sub::Name

NOTE:

If you're running some unsupported Linux/Unix platform, please use the buildme.sh
script located here:

https://github.com/Logitech/slimserver-vendor/tree/public/7.8/CPAN

If 7.8 is outdated by the time you read this, Replace "7.8" with the major version
You should never need to do this if you're on Windows or Mac OSX. If the installers
don't work for you, ask for help and/or report a bug.

Exiting..
root@lms:/usr/local/tmp #

Status
Not open for further replies.