Locating/Backing up Active Domain information/setup

ignaciop

Cadet
I am using the Domain controller service, which makes the FreeNAS the Active Domain Controller and file hosting server. Everything is working great but I am preparing for a migration to a new server. The issue is I cannot find information on where the data of all the users/computers domain data is located. I do not have any additional datasets/zvol that I can see. Is all this data part of the config or boot drive? I want to try to plan for the worst case, but I can't find any info where the data is stored. Any info will be helpful.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I am using the Domain controller service, which makes the FreeNAS the Active Domain Controller and file hosting server. Everything is working great but I am preparing for a migration to a new server. The issue is I cannot find information on where the data of all the users/computers domain data is located. I do not have any additional datasets/zvol that I can see. Is all this data part of the config or boot drive? I want to try to plan for the worst case, but I can't find any info where the data is stored. Any info will be helpful.

Long-term using the AD DC feature in FreeNAS is not a good idea. It is being removed in 11.3. Probably your best path forward for the AD domain is to create a separate Linux VM (Linux because I haven't had time to work on a AD DC plugin), configure it to be a samba domain controller, then dcpromo it in the FreeNAS domain. See (https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Samba_DC_to_an_Existing_Active_Directory) for reference. Once you have done this, cleanly demote the FreeNAS DC from the AD domain (using samba-tool) and turn off the DC feature. Migrate to the new server and join the domain under Directory Services->SMB as a member server (rather than a DC). This will be an involved process (do dry-runs in test environment without production data), but will get you the best results.

ignaciop

Cadet
Although that is not what I wanted to hear thank you for your insight. I have a lot of work ahead of me. Would you recommend any specific distro of linux?