Link Aggregation problems with GUI

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

natelabo

I am trying to setup link aggregation but my interfaces won't appear as options for in the GUI or console. I have searched everywhere over this forum and cannot for the life of me find a solution.

Server specs:
Supermicro X7DBN motherboard... dual port Intel® (ESB2/Gilgal) 82563EB
3com 2916+SFP+ Switch

Ports are currently configured for static IP's and have the names NIC0 and NIC1. I have tried every combination of static, DHCP and no configuration before attempting Link config. This server was able to do LACP protocol perfectly when using FreeNAS v7. It is also able to do it perfectly with Openfiler. I really like FreeNAS v8 but need this to work... Any suggestions I have spent hours trying to make this work. Thanks!

when i was playing with link aggregation, i did everything through the console i figured that if i was messing with the network connection, i should be local.

you may want to play there.

N

natelabo

Solved!

Hopefully this solution will help others...

To properly setup link aggregation you must have not done any prior configuration... GUI or on console. I had been setting static ip's to my nic's thinking they then could be added to the link agg. Also simply deleting the configuration does not make them available. I believe this also holds true for the reset to factory configuration. For some reason those prior settings would just not clear. So I did a complete reinstall... format drive and reinstall FreeNAS. This could have been due to many things I also tried a beta release in there to see if that would correct the problem. That lead to other problems with the database file... So steps:

Complete format
Fresh install (Must be fresh no update database or repair or second install)
On console select configure link aggregration
The interfaces should appear and be able to be added
Select proper configuration
Add interfaces
Reboot
Aggregated link will get IP from DHCP if available on reboot
On console or GUI set desired static IP
On switch setup LACP protocol for proper ports
Wait or just reboot... my switch takes about 3 mins for setting to take and port to become available properly
You now have a link aggregated NAS. YAY!

Thanks for the input!

tmacka88

Patron
did exactly that and it worked. Thanks

tmacka88

Patron

Daisuke

Contributor
There is an easier way that does not requires any formatting.
Simply go to Network Settings > Interfaces and delete all your interfaces. Then go to Link Aggregation tab and create your LAGG. Once you save changes, the GUI will hang. Wait about 2 minutes and reboot from console, you are done.

Tested and working on FreeNAS 8.0.2 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.