Laag0 not working after upgrading from Beta 2 to Beta 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

billm

Dabbler
Lagg0 not working after upgrading from Beta 2 to Beta 3

I upgraded my usb drive to 8.0.1 Beta3.

I have 2 ethernet ports (em0 & em1) setup with load balancing with a fixed ip address (192.168.3.36). The physical em[0,1] ports show a good link status (Active), etc., but the lagg0 interface shows "Status: no carrier".

How do I reset this? The menu options 1 & 2 at the console did not help. The best I was able to do was change the ip address. I am not able to access the system from the lan.

I'm familiar with vi, so I'm happy to edit config files.

Where do I start.

billm

Dabbler
My work around.
ifconfig lagg0 destroy
ifconfig em0 192.168.3.11 255.255.255.0
Connect via the Web interface at the new ip address and delete the lagg0 interface.
em0 then gets an ip address via dhcp.

I tried recreating the lagg0 interface, thinking that there was a problem importing the beta 2 settings, but I still get the same errors. So, at least in my setup, Link Aggregation is broken.

Output of ifconfig with lagg0 enabled:

em0: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
options=219b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,WOL_MAGIC>
ether 00:25:90:35:6b:c8
media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
em1: flags=8802<BROADCAST,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
media: Ethernet autoselect (1000baseT <full-duplex>)
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 16384
options=3<RXCSUM,TXCSUM>
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x3
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
nd6 options=3<PERFORMNUD,ACCEPT_RTADV>
lagg0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
inet 192.168.3.36 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.3.255
media: Ethernet autoselect
laggproto loadbalance
laggport: em1 flags=0<>
laggport: em0 flags=0<>

labtopia

Dabbler
i would be curious if anyone else has experienced this, i have LAGG configured as well on beta2, i would like to move to the next b3 build but cant afford to lose my LAGG.

i would guess it could be fixed through the CLI? have you tried that?
?

labtopia

Dabbler
um yeah this is screwed up, did an upgrade and had to hop around to get back into the machine through the network. also it looks like anything done in the gui is not working for interfaces.

J

jpaetzel

Ok, so the issue here relates to how the GUI and backend handles unconfigured interfaces. The old behavior was that unconfigured interfaces got an ifconfig up, and this worked fine until you wanted to raise the MTU on parent interfaces, because then the backend would generate the ifconfig em0 mtu 9000 line AND the ifconfig em0 up line, but the config is a shell script, last match wins, and the mtu would get lost.

So, that was changed, and a side effect of that is that lagg parents no longer get the ifconfig up passed to them, which leads to breakage when upgrading, because the old behavior was to not create any configuration for the parents. (This was not a foreseen side effect btw) You can see in your ifconfig output that em0 and em1 are not up.

So, how to deal with this: You need to create unconfigured interfaces from the parents. From the CLI the best way to do this is configure em0, set it to DHCP, then configure it again, when it asks if you want to delete the config answer yes. Do the same for em1. Then you can create a lagg with em0 and em1 as parents.reboot the system and configure the lagg as needed.

The CLI menu needs to be altered so that you can directly create an unconfigured interface instead of creating a config then deleting it. You can do that via the GUI, but unless you have a dedicated management interface it's difficult to create a lagg from the GUI.

So it's broken, but mainly because how it deals with things changed, and the migration wasn't done right. But systems do work with the new lagg configuration, so with a bit of pain you can upgrade an existing system and have a working lagg.

brundle

Dabbler
FWIW I have a dedicated NIC for management so I don't have the issue of killing my access to the server when setting up a lagg IF.

However when I setup two unused interfaces in a lacp lagg interface and assign IP info to the interface it still shows the NO CARRIER line and does not work before or after a reboot. I know the lagg works because it worked in the 8.0 Release version.

billm

Dabbler
So I got it to work. It took several tries of jpatzel's instructions to get it to work. The cli menu does not give very helpful feedback.

I also used the web interface to modify settings on the lagg0 members menu to modify the em0 and em1 to be sure they both showed the startup option of "up" and the priority of "0". The em1 already had that, but the em0 was missing those settings.

I should have temporarily added a 3rd nic for access like brundle. That would have been smart.

Is there going to be a Beta 4 with these fixes? I'm seeing other problems in the Web interface, but I haven't had time to post about them or test from a clean install.

brundle

Dabbler
Has anybody been able to make this work now in Beta4? I am still unable to get the lagg IF to work.

billm

Dabbler
I've been able to get it to work. It seems that the easiest path is a fresh install of B4 to a different thumb drive and then re-entering your settings by hand. Upgrading doesn't work so well. Save the old thumb drive until you've got the fresh install working.
A fresh install also fixed problems I was having with the reporting page.

Status
Not open for further replies.