Dabbler
  • Supermicro 5018A-MHN4 / A1SRM-2758F
  • C2758
  • 16GB
  • 4x WD Red 4.0GB RAIDZ1
  • Presume it's in the Atom SoC
  • Atom SoC
  • Boots from two 32GB Kingston Data Travelers in a ZMIRROR
I have a FreeNAS system I use for rsync backups in a datacenter. It has been working fine for years. It had a small problem the other day that required a reboot - it was strange - the console said no IP addresses were defined. I rebooted it and it came back up no problem. That is a mystery for another day.

While I was there I decided to check for updates - there was one so I updated it to 11.2-U6-1. When it restarted the kernel paniced when I tried to mount the encrypted pool.

I have the key and the passphrase so I completely reinstalled 11.2-U6. The same thing happens when I try to import the pool.

This is the best I could do with the beginning of the kernel trap. 100% reproducible.

19-10-05 10-38-19 2805.jpg

It would not be the end of the world if I lost this pool (there are other backups) but I would rather not rebuild it.

Anything I can do?

Thanks.

Heracles

Wizard
Hey ITW,

Often, these panics are caused by bad RAM. I would suggest you download Memtest and do a couple of runs to ensure your RAM is good.

Good luck and keep us posted if that is not enough to identify the problem...

itw

Dabbler
It has passed pass 1 of memtest86. I will let it run all 4 passes and then run the one from Supermicro but it's looking like the RAM works.

Any other thoughts?

Heracles

Wizard
Hi again,

So lets try some other hardware tests... Do you have unused SATA ports for your drives ? If you have at least one free port, move your drives to see if it helps.

Also, it would be good for you to backup everything ASAP. For that, you can unplug all your data drives and boot normally. Once up and running, do a complete backup.

But the typical culprit in kernel panics is hardware...

itw

Dabbler
I reinstalled 11.2-U5 and the pool imported fine. Scary AF.

itw

Dabbler
I just did these steps:
  1. Installed 11.2-U5
  2. Imported pool (no issues)
  3. Scrubbed it (0 errors)
  4. Exported/Disconnected it
  5. Updated to 11.2-U6
  6. Imported pool and double fault panic again.

styno

Patron
Please open a case for this as this needs to be looked at by a dev.
ps. I encountered the issue with missing IP after the update to 11.2-U6 (reboot solved that as well).

styno

Patron
yes

itw

Dabbler
I got this mounted on U6. I had to update the feature set of the pool in U5 and it would mount.