Keeping the jails up to date

Status
Not open for further replies.

raidflex

Guru
Are you talking to me? Are you on 9.3? How are you updating?

Yes I am on 9.3, just run a pkg upgrade while logged into the jail and it will work.

raidflex

Guru

ovizii

Patron
What's the difference between

# freebsd-update fetch
# freebsd-update install

and

pkg update
pkg upgrade

?

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
Also check out this thread for updating all of jails at once, I use it myself and it works well.

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-update-all-of-your-jails-at-once.21397/

I wouldn't advise doing that if you are running Virtualbox. Virtualbox jail doesn't take well to updating and will break if you do.

ETA: Also if you have installed any applications from ports with custom options the package manager will reinstall the application with the default package configuration. You'll need to lock down any packages that you have installed that you don't want the package manager to overwrite.

What's the difference between

# freebsd-update fetch
# freebsd-update install

and

pkg update
pkg upgrade

?

The freebsd-update utility updates the core OS. Pkg update/upgrade just updates the installed packages. Freebsd-update will not work in a jail, only on the host OS. DO NOT attempt to do this to freeNAS.

I dare say that if you were to do an upgrade to the core OS via freebsd-update that any jails that you created before the upgrade may not work. Since I don't know for sure I'll leave that to others more knowledgeable to respond to.

Last edited:

ovizii

Patron
The freebsd-update utility updates the core OS. Pkg update/upgrade just updates the installed packages. Freebsd-update will not work in a jail, only on the host OS. DO NOT attempt to do this to freeNAS.

Thanks, I had never heard about this command and the other person threw it in here so casually... I guess I'll never need those commands since freeNAS takes care of its own updates which I apply via the GUI.

anika200

Contributor
Also if you have installed any applications from ports with custom options the package manager will reinstall the application with the default package configuration. You'll need to lock down any packages that you have installed that you don't want the package manager to overwrite.
Thanks for this info, I really appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.