Jumbo Frames

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauldonovan

Explorer
Use the Add Interface screen to define your network interface. You can set the MTU value (for jumbo frames) in the Options box there.

See http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Interfaces

I'm using 'mtu 9000' on my Realtek 8111E with no problems. Note that jumbo frames for Realtek chips aren't in the 8.0 release but only as an add-on (see the front page of freenas.org) of in the betas of 8.01.

Paul

golemcito

Explorer
Use the Add Interface screen to define your network interface. You can set the MTU value (for jumbo frames) in the Options box there.

See http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Interfaces

I'm using 'mtu 9000' on my Realtek 8111E with no problems. Note that jumbo frames for Realtek chips aren't in the 8.0 release but only as an add-on (see the front page of freenas.org) of in the betas of 8.01.

Paul

Thank you for your help :D

jfr2006

Contributor
I ask the opposite: how do i disable jumbo frames? I tried mtu 1500, but it did not seem to work, since the problem i'm having can only be solved if i connect my freenas to a 100Mbps router/switch :(

jfr2006

Contributor
Unfortunately it does not seem to work. The reason i want to disable jumbo frames, is because if i have it enable, my media player, when playing files from the NAS that have a high bitrate, it starts to stuttering and loose frames. I think the problem is with jumbo frames, because if i connect the freenas to a 100Mbps port, i don't have this problem anymore.

pauldonovan

Explorer
From a shell on you FreeNAS box, please run the following:

Code:
route get 192.168.1.***

Where '192.168.1.***' is the IP address of your media player.

You will get some text returned that shows the MTU value that will be used communicating with the IP. If it shows 1500 then it's not using jumbo frames to communicate with it, and the problem lies elsewhere.

Paul

Milhouse

Guru
Unfortunately it does not seem to work. The reason i want to disable jumbo frames, is because if i have it enable, my media player, when playing files from the NAS that have a high bitrate, it starts to stuttering and loose frames. I think the problem is with jumbo frames, because if i connect the freenas to a 100Mbps port, i don't have this problem anymore.

What make/model is your media player, is it a Popcorn Hour? These are known to have problems with their GigE connection, Jumbo Frames or not.

jfr2006

Contributor
Hi:

No, it's a tvix s1 model. I've issued the command, here is the result:

freenas# route get 192.168.1.50
route to: 192.168.1.50
destination: 192.168.1.0
mask: 255.255.255.0
interface: re0
flags: <UP,DONE>
recvpipe sendpipe ssthresh rtt,msec mtu weight expire
0 0 0 0 1500 1 0

So the mtu is 1500. But then why do i have problems if i connect the freenas to the gigabit switch and they "disappear" when i connect the freenas to a 100Mbps port?

Milhouse

Guru
Hi:

No, it's a tvix s1 model. I've issued the command, here is the result:

So the mtu is 1500. But then why do i have problems if i connect the freenas to the gigabit switch and they "disappear" when i connect the freenas to a 100Mbps port?

The tvix has only a 10/100 NIC.

When you have the FreeNAS connected to the GigE switch, is the tvix also connected to the same GigE switch? Is the tvix negotiating the best connection (100Mbps/full duplex, or is it auto-negotiating something else which might be the problem?) Try setting the tvix network connection to 100Mbps/full duplex on the GigE switch.

jfr2006

Contributor
I've tried the tvix connected to the same gigE switch and to the router (that only has 100Mbps ports). No luck..still the same problem. It's a unmanaged switch, so i can't set any of the ports...

The only way i can have this working is using one of 2 solutions:

- connect the freenas to a 100Mbps port on the router
- Add a 100Mbps Ethernet controller to freenas and connect it directly to the tvix (using a crossover cable)

I opted for the second solution, using a 10/100m intel PCI board, but this way i can't get internet access on the tvix, since freenas does not work as a gateway :(

I wonder if i use another gigabit controller from intel, it all work ok...

Milhouse

Guru
It's a unmanaged switch, so i can't set any of the ports...

Can't you set the port speed manually in the tvix GUI?

I opted for the second solution, using a 10/100m intel PCI board

Did you try setting the FreeNAS NIC to run at 100Mbps (rather than auto-negotiate) when connected to the GigE switch?

If auto-negotiation goes wrong it can cause just these sorts of problems - the usual solution is to specify the port speed manually, which you can certainly do in the FreeNAS GUI but I don't know about the tvix (although I would expect this to be supported).

EDIT: Just checked and manual port speed isn't supported by the 8.0.1-BETA2 GUI, bah - this was supported by FreeNAS 7. Maybe it's possible to manually specify the port speed using the Options field in the NIC setup dialog?

jfr2006

Contributor
No, i can't set the port speed on the tvix gui.

And it seems that freenas does not allow it also... :( Anyway, i wanted to use the gigabit speed, so setting it to 100Mbps would be the same than connecting it to a 100Mbps port.

Regards.

louis-m

Dabbler
into the shell via console or ssh:

To find out how your interface is set:
use ifconfig <interface-name> | grep media

Set 100Mbps full-duplex, enter:
ifconfig <interface-name> <IP_address> media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex

Set 1000Mbps full-duplex, enter:
ifconfig <interface-name> <IP_address> media 1000baseTX mediaopt full-duplex

edit /etc/rc.conf to make persistant

Status