Jira Search Tips

I don't know if others are finding Jira difficult to navigate, but I am. Maybe it's my lack of familiarity, but I don't think I'm alone.

The majority of shared filters in Jira seem to be tuned towards developers (Issues > Current search > Find filters > Popular) There are several geared towards end-users (Issues > Current search > FILTERS), but only two that I personally use:
  1. My open issues
  2. Reported by me
With the move to using Jira for TrueNAS Suggestion Tickets, maybe the list of FILTERS should be expanded? For the moment, I've created three custom filters I've found useful that I'd like to share with others.
  1. Issues I am watching: watcher = currentUser()
  2. Issues I have voted for: voter = currentUser()
  3. Issues with at least 10 votes: votes >= 10
EDIT: To create these filters start with Issues > Search for Issues > Advanced. Once you've set up the JQL query, then use the Save As button.

If you have a Jira tip or custom filter you would like to share, please feel free to post it in this thread.

Last edited:
I agree that that JIRA interface is somewhat clunky. I also ended up creating my own (private) filters to track the "Suggestion Tickets". If anybody has issues, you can create as follows:

Start with menu Issues>Search for issues
Then, as an example, select Project: FreeNAS/TrueNAS, Type: Suggestion, Status: Gathering Interest
Then use the Save As button.

After that it will show in the "Issues" drop-down, with the "My open Issues" and "Reported by me" options you mentioned.

If you want to make changes afterwards, use menu Issues>Manage Filters. This also lets you subscribe to your filter; i.e. you can configure to have periodic emails sent with the results of your filter.

That subscription option is actually very convenient; if I see a "Suggestion Ticket" that I like show up in my email, I can logon to JIRA and vote.

Last edited:
Thanks for that @Jurgen Segaert. I should have added that the steps I used to create the custom filters I listed were Issues > Search for Issues > Advanced

Unfortunately, custom filters are private. Where a filter might be considered useful to a broader group, it should probably be made public. This will save everyone setting up the same custom filter. However, to set up public filters requires Jira admin rights.

Last edited: