Jails/plugins/bhyve forums?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Not too long ago, the jails/plugins/bhyve forum was moved out of help & support. Seemed kind of odd at the time--that forum is no less about help and support than the hardware or storage forums. Now, I notice that the plugins forum has been split off from that, so there's one forum for plugins, and another for jails/bhyve. Given that all plugins are jails, that seems like a strange division to be making. What's the thought process here?

Edit: and at least in the Plugins/Nextcloud forum, quite a lot of the threads have nothing to do with the plugin; they're dealing with manual installations instead.

Last edited:

Tigersharke

BOfH in User's clothing
Administrator
I cannot say precisely why, but possibly looking at what was moved versus what remained might shed light on the qualities of jail vs plugin. My guess would be that plugins forum deals with the software in those jails, so questions about how those plugins function, how one interacts with them within FreeNAS or on the network, and any other specific things excluding anything about their container. *shrugs*

danb35

Hall of Famer
Well, I see there are subforums for many of the popular plugins and Asigra (about which it seems the only thing we know is that we don't know anything about how to use it). If I look at the threads in the Nextcloud forum, probably 1/4 of the first couple of pages are explicitly dealing with non-plugin installations, and about 1/3 are dealing with unspecified installation types (could be the plugin or not). In the Plex forum, it's similar. It's not immediately obvious in the Transmission forum; those three together have the vast majority of the threads out of the Plugins forum.

If the idea is to separate discussions of installing the product in question from questions of using that product, it seems like the individual subforums would be better placed under Third-Party Software (and the only question to discuss in Plugins/Nextcloud would be whether and when iX will get around to merging my PR to actually give users a working Nextcloud installation without having to manually enter database details and other stuff they shouldn't need to worry about).

danb35

Hall of Famer
It's unfortunate that none of the admins have decided to clarify why this change was made, and what the intent was behind it. A couple of months on, we're still seeing lots of threads in the Plugins forums that deal with manual installations, and plenty in Jails that are about using the plugins. What was broken that you thought needed fixing?