Jail Storage: Data Copied?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DazB

Cadet
I have the NextCloud plugin installed and set up to use storage in a dataset outside the jail, as shown in the attached Capture1.png. I see the same data within both the source and destination.

I understand that data is not actually copied between these two directories, but the destination is just a symbolic link (as discussed here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/i-don't-understand-jails-storage.19750/)

However, when using the du command to check the file size, I find that the reported file size is the same in the jail destination and the source dataset, as shown in Capture2.png and Capture3.png. But when I use the zfs list command, I get the expected result of source containing all the data and much larger than the destination, as shown in Capture4.png, as opposed to the same size, as returned by du

I use rsync.net to backup my entire volume (jails, data, the whole shabang), and just got an email saying I reached my 100GB quota limit, when according to the FreeNAS storage report I should be only using half of it, as shown by Capture5.png. When I ftp'd into my rsync.net folder I found that it was copying both the source and destination data, essentially doubling the data size.

My rsync command is /usr/local/bin/rsync -avH --progress --delete --chmod=u+rwx /mnt/volume1 xxx@xxx.rsync.net:

My FreeNAS version is 11.1-RELEASE

Is there any reason why I'm getting 2 different reports on data size, and why it seems that the data is being duplicated by rsync?

Any help will be really appreciated. You guys rock.

Attachments

• Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    12.1 KB · Views: 573
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    2.2 KB · Views: 584
  • Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    17.6 KB · Views: 565
  • Capture4.PNG
    Capture4.PNG
    64.1 KB · Views: 608
  • Capture5.PNG
    Capture5.PNG
    50.7 KB · Views: 542
Last edited:

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I use rsync.net to backup my entire volume
This website is not recognizing that it is a mapped folder. It sees the file in two places and copies it twice. The solution is to exclude the mapped folder from the backup.

DazB

Cadet
This website is not recognizing that it is a mapped folder. It sees the file in two places and copies it twice. The solution is to exclude the mapped folder from the backup.

Thanks for the reply Chris. Awesome, that makes sense. I'll do that. Is this the same reason the du command returns the same size for both folders, because it doesn't recognize it's a mapped folder?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Is this the same reason the du command returns the same size for both folders, because it doesn't recognize it's a mapped folder?
Yes. It is kind of like having two windows in a room. You look out one and see a car, then look out the other and see a car. Just because you see two cars, that doesn't mean you have two cars in your driveway. It is still just one car, you can just see it from two different places. The problem is, these programs are dumb and don't realize it is the same car.

DazB

Cadet
Yes. It is kind of like having two windows in a room. You look out one and see a car, then look out the other and see a car. Just because you see two cars, that doesn't mean you have two cars in your driveway. It is still just one car, you can just see it from two different places. The problem is, these programs are dumb and don't realize it is the same car.

Many thanks for the clear explanation Chris. Very much appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.