Jail Not Present in Tree

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean

Cadet
I'm new to this, but as far as I can tell, everything works smooth except that Jail is not present in my tree view (see below) and is, as I understand it, preventing me from installing applications. Are there settings that I need to change in order to make it visible or is there something else going on that I need to do?
Screen Shot 2013-07-15 at 10.53.36 AM.png

I am using an old PC as a home media server that I would like to configure for access via internet for streaming, grabbing documents, etc.. I also intend to install Hamachi and Privoxy for secure internet browsing, or if somebody has a better idea, some other way to securely browse the internet.

All replies are appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-07-15 at 10.53.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-07-15 at 10.53.36 AM.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 347

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Did you install the jail?

Sean

Cadet
I thought I did. I created the Jail folder and the Jail Archive. I must have done it incorrectly. All of the other threads and forums I have read seemed to imply that although it needed to be installed, it already existed in the tree. I'll try to reinstall the Jail.

Thanks.

Sean

Cadet
This is probably a stupid question, but when I set my source and destination for my jail, my destination seems to be restricted to what is in my Jails folder and I'm not sure which, if any, I should be choosing.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
The manual should provide you with everything you need to know. Unfortunately, at the moment, the links are broken. This is breaking news and the web guys are working on fixing it. But the manual can normally be found at doc.freenas.org.

The source is the directory outside the jail you want to map inside the jail. The destination is where you want the source directory to map itself to inside the jail. So naturally, the destination MUST be limited to the jail's accessible locations.

Sean

Cadet
Yeah, I tried using your links, but to no avail. I've read the section on Jails in the manual, but as a total newb, I wasn't sure if there was a standard format or folder that I should use. So, it doesn't really matter what folder I choose, or should I create a new folder within the Jail folder as my destination? As long as I know where/what the folders are, I should be fine?

I'm having a problem picturing how the information flow is suppose to look, otherwise I think I'd be able to decide for myself how to set it up.

Thanks again for the help.

Sean

Cadet
I've reinstalled FreeNAS-8.3.1-RELEASE-p2-x86.Plugins_Jail.pbi, and it said installation successful. However, Jails still refuses to show up in the tree. Any ideas? How does this affect my ability to install other programs?

When I try to turn on the service, it just says "some error occurred."

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I haven't played with a jail in some time, but it sounds like you didn't install it properly.

Sean

Cadet
Would you, or anyone else, be kind enough to give me a quick rundown on what my install should look like? I've read the manual, but whatever it is I'm doing clearly isn't working.

Sean

Cadet
Well, I'll be damned. Many hours wasted. No wonder I couldn't find anything to help me. Thanks, William. I guess I should have mentioned which version I am using.

Status
Not open for further replies.